James C. Davis
Jim’s practice focuses on private equity buyouts and strategic M&A, including cross-border transactions, public and private mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, and corporate governance.
Jim is active in pro bono representations and was honored by Legal Aid Chicago as a 2016 Volunteer of the Year.
- Represented TPG Capital in a variety of transactions, including (i) its investment in DirecTV in a transaction valued at $16.25 billion, (ii) its acquisition of Entertainment Partners, (iii) its $737 million acquisition of Exactech, (iv) its minority investment in Anastasia Beverly Hills and (v) its acquisition of Digital.ai.
- Represented TA Associates and TPG Capital in their $1.6 billion joint acquisition of Planview, a software company providing portfolio management and work management solutions.
- Representing Francisco Partners and TPG Capital in their $4 billion joint acquisition of Boomi, a provider of cloud-based integration platform as a service (iPaaS), from Dell Technologies.
- Represented Jacobs Holding AG in its acquisition of North American Dental Group.
- Represented The Hershey Company in its $420 million acquisition of Pirate Brands, including the Pirate’s Booty, Smart Puffs and Original Tings brands from B&G Foods, Inc.
- Represented Altamont Capital Partners in several transactions, including its carve-out acquisition of Publicis Healthcare Solutions, a leading pharmaceutical contract commercial services organization, from Publicis Groupe, and its acquisition of a majority stake in Celestite Holdings, a prominent non-standard auto insurance managing general agency.
- Represented Silversmith Capital Partners in its growth investment in MediQuant, a high-growth provider of hospital data active archiving and interoperability solutions.
- Represented Mitsubishi Bank in several transactions , including its acquisition of Guggenheim Investments’ mutual fund administration business and its acquisition of UBS Global Asset Management's Administrative Fund Services Business.
- Represented Novanta in its acquisition of Trimble’s ThingMagic division, a provider of RFID technology.
- Represented Equity International in the establishment of a joint venture between its portfolio company GuardeAqui and Kipit Self Storage, each a self-storage operator in Brazil.
- Represented Cressey & Company in its sale of Encompass Home Healthcare to HealthSouth Corporation.
- Represented BV Investment Partners in several transactions, including its acquisition of Veracross (a provider of software solutions to schools) and its sale of Butterfield Fulcrum Group(a hedge fund administrator) to Mitsubishi Bank.
- Represented TPG Capital and Immucor, Inc. in connection with Immucor’s acquisition of Organ-I, a provider of biotech diagnostics.
- Represented a strategic buyer in its acquisition from a private equity fund of a leading provider of specialist physicians to hospitals.
- Represents leading financial advisors in connection with providing solvency and fairness opinions.
- Co-author, “Delaware Supreme Court confirms effect of majority vote of informed, disinterested stockholders,” International Law Office (February 10, 2016)
- Co-author, “Implied covenant of good faith and scope of arbitration in earnout disputes,” International Law Office (May 27, 2015)
- Co-author, “Appraisal decisions: deal consideration as fair value,” International Law Office’s Corporate/M&A Newsletter (September 17, 2014)
- Co-author, “SEC issues broker-dealer no-action letter for M&A brokers,” International Law Office (July 9, 2014)
- Co-author, “Weak fairness opinion not an independent violation of Revlon duties,” International Law Office (May 3, 2014)
- Co-author, “Cooper terminates Apollo deal,” International Law Office (March 26, 2014)
- Co-author, “The basket case,” International Law Office (November 27, 2013)
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2012
- AB, cum laude, Harvard College, 2006
Admissions / Qualifications
- Illinois, 2012
- Named a Volunteer of the Year by Legal Aid Chicago (2016)