Laura G. Hoey
Laura Hoey is co-leader of the Government Enforcement and White Collar Group and co-leader of the Health Care and Life Sciences Industry Group at Ropes & Gray LLP in Chicago. Laura combines her trial and investigative skills as a former federal health care fraud prosecutor with extensive experience in the health care industry. Laura is known for creative and tenacious defenses and for efficient, well-managed internal investigations.
She represents clients in the pharmaceutical, medical device, diagnostic laboratory, and dental industries who are facing government investigations and Congressional inquiries. Laura conducts internal investigations in all types of government and regulatory compliance matters including:
- potential violations of whistleblower and anti-kickback statutes and of anti-corruption and anti-bribery statutes, including the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act,
- alleged health care fraud,
- alleged violations of the False Claims Act,
- alleged improper marketing of pharmaceutical products and medical devices for uses for which they have not been approved by the FDA (off-label marketing), and
- alleged violations of privacy and cybersecurity laws, including HIPAA.
As a federal prosecutor, Laura prosecuted health care fraud, kickback violations, Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act violations, document destruction and obstruction cases, and criminal HIPAA violations, as well as tax fraud and public corruption. She was first chair in five trials, winning convictions in all five.
In 2008, Laura received the Department of Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General’s Integrity Award.
Laura is a member of the firm’s Women's Forum and Pro Bono Committee.
- Representing the independent board of directors for a large medical device manufacturer in connection with several ongoing matters, including a government investigation of alleged Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act violations and potential False Claims Act exposure, and litigation matters involving consumer fraud, false advertising, products liability, and securities fraud.
- Representing an executive of a Japanese medical device manufacturer in a major U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) investigation.
- Mayberry v. Walgreens Co., et al. (N.D. Ill. 2017): secured dismissal of a putative national class action alleging fraudulent billing and reimbursement practices against leading pharmacies in the sale and distribution of insulin.
- Representing several pharmaceutical companies in a sweeping, industry-wide investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Massachusetts and the DOJ into donations to charitable assistance foundations that provide financial assistance to Medicare patients.
- Investigated and negotiated resolutions of three False Claims Act qui tam complaints for a physician practice management organization in connection with an investigation conducted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of North Carolina.
- Representing a group of surgeons in a False Claims Act qui tam lawsuit in the Northern District of Illinois relating to alleged unlawful billing of services.
- Representing a major medical device manufacturer in a False Claims Act case alleging fraud against federal and state government health care programs in connection with certain spinal implant devices.
- Advising a national hospitalist services provider in responding to a state agency notice that its Medicaid payments were being suspended pursuant to federal regulation.
- Secured a motion to dismiss in a False Claims Act qui tam action alleging violations of an anti-fraud statute against a physical therapy provider.
- Prosecuted breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty claims on behalf of a dental support organization; secured a complete dismissal of the defendant’s counterclaims against the client.
- Negotiated a civil resolution for a diagnostic laboratory that was the subject of a federal investigation concerning the marketing and billing of the lab’s services, including alleged anti-kickback and False Claims Act violations.
- Leading multiple internal investigations for a major pharmaceutical company into alleged Foreign Corrupt Practice Act violations in China.
- Leading internal investigations for a multinational medical device company regarding alleged Foreign Corrupt Practice Act violations in Central and South America.
- Leading an internal investigation at a major pharmaceutical company involving allegations of clinical trial fraud.
- Advising a private equity firm in connection with indemnification claims based on federal health care fraud investigations.
- Representing a dental services organization facing a Congressional inquiry.
- Representing a health care data management client being investigated by the Office of Inspector General for the United States Postal Service.
- Defended a pharmaceutical company in a federal health care fraud investigation alleging off-label marketing and False Claims Act violations.
- Co-author, “US sanctions and export controls: What every healthcare and life sciences compliance officer needs to know,” World ECR (September, 2018)
- Co-author, “Tax Reform: Deductibility of Government Payments Materially Limited,” Westlaw Journals Securities Litigation & Regulation (January 25, 2018)
- Co-author, “Patients, Payers, Prosecutors, and the Role of the Copay,” Bloomberg BNA’s Health Care Fraud Report (January 10, 2018)
- Co-author, “The Broad Reach of Medicare Act’s Preemption Provision,” Law360 (November 28, 2017)
- Co-author, “Is the Current Anti-Kickback Enforcement Environment Stifling Innovation in Health Care?” Bloomberg BNA’s Health Law Reporter (August 10, 2017)
- Featured, “How 4 Firms Are Moving The Needle On Gender Diversity,” Law360 (July 24, 2017)
- Quoted, “Record growth for Chinese American Bar Association,” Chicago Daily Law Bulletin (February 22, 2017)
- Co-author, “DOJ’s Global Reach: What Every Non-U.S. Health Care and Life Sciences Company Needs to Know,” Ropes & Gray Article (January 23, 2017)
- Co-author, “Taming the ‘Wild West’: Enforcement Trends and Reimbursement Issues Facing Independent Clinical Laboratories,” Bloomberg BNA Health Law Reporter (April 14, 2016)
- Quoted, “What Attorneys Wish They Knew When They Graduated,” Law360 (June 26, 2015)
- Laura Hoey, Jonathan Schmidt, Lindsey Sullivan and Justin Van Etten, “Privacy and Data Security Enforcement: The SEC is Getting in on the Action,” Ropes & Gray Article, republished with permission from PLI (April 2015)
- Co-author, “MedTech Europe Calls for the End of Direct Sponsorship,” Bloomberg BNA Medical Devices Law & Industry Report (January 2015)
- Quoted,“Ex-Sacred Heart CEO pushes back in Medicare kickback case,” Crain’s Chicago Business (March 18, 2014)
- Quoted, “Pharma Execs Can't Duck Prosecutors With Off-Label Ruling,” Law360 (February 25, 2013)
- Quoted, "Lawyers: Feds expand FCPA probes in health-care industry," Chicago Daily Law Bulletin (October 12, 2012)
- Laura Hoey, Aaron Katz and Timothy Farrell, "Much Ado About The Crime Of Doing Nothing," Law360 (August 2012)
- Laura G. Hoey, Asheesh Goel, and Scott Lemmon, “Concluding the Internal Investigation,” Internal Investigations 2012: How to Protect Your Clients or Companies in the Global, Post Dodd-Frank World, Practising Law Institute (June 2012)
- Laura G. Hoey, Deborah Gersh, Timothy M. McCrystal and David C. Tolley, “Security Rule Audits on the Way; Time to Invest in Technology Safeguards,” Healthcare Financial Management (February 2012)
- Laura G. Hoey and Amanda Raad, “A Headline Shift, Not a Priority Shift: The Government Expands Its Second Front in the War on Health Care Fraud,” Bloomberg Law Reports (December 16, 2011)
- Speaker, “Health Care Fraud and Abuse,” ABA’s 32nd Annual National Institute on White Collar Crime (February 28-March 2, 2018)
- Panelist, “Crisis Management,” State Bar of Georgia Institute of Continuing Legal Education (February 1, 2018)
- Speaker, “Mini Summit III: Enforcement Trends, Risk Assessments and Best Practices for Patient Assistance and Reimbursement Support,” 18th Annual Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Compliance Congress (November 6-8, 2017)
- Speaker, “The Rise of Health Care Related Legislation and Prosecution on a Global Scale,” ABA’s sixth annual London White Collar Crime Institute (October 9, 2017)
- Speaker, “Health Care Fraud Enforcement Summit,” Legal 500 (October 3, 2017)
- Speaker, “Conducting the Internal Investigation,” PLI’s Internal Investigations 2016 (June 7, 2016)
- Presenter, “Pharmaceutical Compliance Forum Spring Meeting,” Boston, MA (April 13-14, 2016)
- Presenter, “The Yates Memorandum and Individual Liability: Implications for Compliance Officers, Board Members and Senior Leadership,” Ropes & Gray Roundtable (April 13, 2016)
- Panelist, “Healthcare Fraud: Education to Protect Yourself, Your Community and Your Company,” Healthcare Businesswomen’s Association (March 16, 2016)
- Moderator, “U.S. Attorney’s Office Roundtable: The Enforcers Speak,” American Conference Institute’s 16th Annual Forum on Fraud and Abuse in the Sales and Marketing of Medical Devices: Fortifying Compliance Protocols to Prepare for Changing Enforcement Priorities, Boston, MA (March 9, 2016)
- Moderator, “Healthcare Fraud; How it Impacts You and What You Can Do,” Healthcare Businesswomen’s Association (March 6, 2016)
- Moderator, “Emerging Enforcement Trends in Healthcare,” 30th Annual National Institute on White Collar Crime (March 3, 2016)
- Presenter, “Be Vigilant! The Current State of Health Care Data Privacy Enforcement and What You Can Do to Prepare,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Chicago Chapter (February 24, 2016)
- Speaker, “Conducting the Investigation,” PLI's Internal Investigations (June 9, 2015)
- Panelist, Healthcare Fraud & Abuse Panel, 2015 ABA White Collar Crime Conference, New Orleans (March 2015)
- Lecturer, “Government Investigations; Self disclosure; Corporate Integrity Agreements/Deferred Prosecution Agreements,” Health Care Fraud and Abuse: Contracting and Compliance, American University Washington College of Law, Washington, DC (November 18, 2014)
- Moderator, AdvaMed 2014 MedTech Conference, Chicago (October 6-8 2014)
- Moderator, Chambers & Partners, General Counsel Seminar (September 30, 2014)
- Presenter, Practising Law Institute Internal Investigations Conference, Chicago (June 10, 2014)
- Moderator, 7th Annual Conference – White Collar Crime / Corporate Governance, Westin River North, Chicago (April 17, 2014)
- Moderator, ASECA Securities Enforcement and Regulation Conference, The Metropolitan Club, Chicago (April 13, 2014)
- Presenter, Yale Law Women – “Day in the Life” Series, New Haven, CT (February 27, 2014)
- Speaker, “Commencing the Investigation: Considerations at the Outset,” PLI's Internal Investigations, Chicago (June 11, 2013)
- Panelist, “Under the Government Microscope: Health Care Fraud Issues under FCPA,” Law Bulletin’s 6th Annual White Collar Conference (April 16, 2013)
- Co-Presenter, “HIPAA Omnibus Rule: Considerations and Updates Related to Recent Government Enforcement Activity, Data Breach Litigation and Liability Risk Management,” Ropes & Gray Webinar (March 12, 2013)
- Co-Panelist, “Perspective of a Qui Tam Plaintiff’s Lawyer,” Ropes & Gray False Claims Act Roundtable, New York, NY (February 12, 2013)
- Presenter, “Regulatory and Enforcement Update,” ACS - Financial Accounting & Reporting Update Conference, Chicago, IL (November 15-16, 2012)
- Presenter, “UK’s Anti-Bribery Act: Increasing Global Awareness, Enforcement and Investigation,” 3rd Annual Device and Diagnostic Ethics and Compliance Conference, Chicago, IL (October 15-16, 2012)
- Presenter, “Arkansas Medicaid Fraud, Case Study: U.S. of America v. Kelly Dean Shrum, D.O.,” National Association of Medicaid Fraud Control Units, 2012 Annual Training Program, New York, NY (October 2, 2012)
- Presenter, “New Challenges Under Dodd-Frank,” ACS - Revenue Recognition Conference (September 13, 2012)
- Moderator, “Health Care Fraud Update: 2012,” ABA 2012 Annual Meeting, Criminal Justice Section (August 4, 2012)
- Speaker, “SEC Enforcement Discussion,” Revenue Recognition Accounting Update Conference (June 21, 2012)
- Moderator, “Health Care Fraud,” White Collar Crime + Corporate Governance Conference (April 18, 2012)
- Co-Presenter, “When the Government Comes Calling: Calibrating Your Response to the Government’s Method of Inquiry,” Healthcare Financial Management Association, Illinois First Chapter (January 2012)
- Co-Presenter with Colleen Conry, “Prosecuting and Defending Individuals in White Collar Criminal Cases,” Chicago Bar Association, Corporate Law Department’s Committee (June 16, 2011)
- Panelist, "Internal Investigations 2011: Investigations in the Aftermath of Dodd-Frank," Practising Law Institute (June 14, 2011)
- Presenter, “Working Collaboratively to Fight Fraud in DME Cases,” Medicaid Integrity Institute Seminar Emerging Trends in Home Health and Durable Medical Equipment Symposium, Columbia, SC (September 21, 2010)
- Presenter, “Health Care Fraud and Parallel Proceedings,” National Advocacy Center, Department of Justice training course Survey of White Collar Crime, Columbia, SC (July 14, 2010 and May 12, 2009)
- Presenter, “Kickbacks in the Medical Supply Arena,” Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General Regional Training, New Orleans, LA (June 17, 2009)
- Presenter, “Sale and Marketing of Medical Devices, Enforcement Panel,” American Conference Institute Medical Device Conference, Chicago, IL (November 19, 2008)