Vincent W. Ip
Vincent Ip is managing partner of Ropes & Gray’s Hong Kong office and a partner in the firm’s asset management group. Vincent is a trusted advisor to top asset managers and sovereign wealth funds worldwide. His cutting-edge work for investment advisors and sponsors includes counseling on all aspects of their business, with a focus on the formation and ongoing representation of Asia-focused private investment funds.
Ranked by Chambers Global and Chambers Asia-Pacific as a leading lawyer in investment funds and named a Law360 “Rising Star” in Fund Formation, Vincent has deep experience advising on a range of funds, including buyout and growth equity, venture capital, distressed/special situations, real estate, co-investment, secondary, and funds of funds. He works closely with both emerging and established sponsors, counseling on matters ranging from the structuring and operation of management companies to those related to corporate governance, as well as securities law and compliance.
Vincent also counsels some of the world’s largest institutional investors in connection with investments in private investment funds, hedge funds and separate accounts, and on secondary and co-investment transactions. His secondary market experience comprises both traditional portfolio sales and structured secondaries. Among other matters, he has represented a major sovereign fund in one of the largest-ever secondaries sales of private fund interests.
As a U.S.-trained lawyer based in Asia for the last decade, Vincent brings a nuanced perspective on both the global private funds landscape and the Asia market to his work with clients. Clients appreciate that his legal advice is informed by an understanding of market dynamics, as well as “very creative thinking.” They also value his transactional background, and the unique vantage point it adds to his counsel on both fund formation and complex transactions.
- Alplnvest Partners
- China Everbright
- China Ping An Insurance
- CMC Capital Partners
- RRJ Capital
- Various Asian, Canadian and European sovereign wealth funds
- Profiled, “Ropes & Gray’s new Hong Kong leader sets priorities,” Asia Business Law Journal (May 3, 2022)
- Featured, “Forum | Guidance from Afar,” Asian Legal Business (April 2022)
- Profiled, “Ip to Lead Ropes & Gray’s Hong Kong Office,” Alternatives Watch (March 14, 2022)
- Profiled, “Ropes & Gray Appoints New Hong Kong Head, Goes ‘All In for Life Sciences,’” Law.com (March 10, 2022)
- Featured, “Rising Star: Ropes & Gray's Vincent Ip,” Law360 (October 17, 2019)
- Co-author, “Management Fees for Private Equity and Venture Capital Funds in the Post-Investment Period. a Review,“ HKPEFA Newsletter (January 2014)
- Co-author, “Comment: Calculating Fees,” Private Equity International (November 29, 2013)
- Co-author, "Access to Fund Management in China," MFA Reporter (Winter 2010)
- JD, cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 2006; Executive Editor for Professional Publications, Annual Review of Banking & Financial Law
- BA (Economics), with Honors, Swarthmore College, 2003
Admissions / Qualifications
- Hong Kong, Solicitor, 2013
- New York, 2007
- Massachusetts, 2006
- Chambers Asia-Pacific and Greater China: Leading Lawyer in Investment Funds (2020-2022)
- Chambers Asia-Pacific: Leading Lawyer in Investment Funds (2021)
- Chambers Global: Leading Lawyer in Investment Funds (2020-2022)
- Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Next Generation Partner in Investment Funds (2021-2022)
- Law360: Rising Star (2019)
- IFLR1000: Rising Star (2021-2022)
- Who's Who Legal: Private Funds – Formation (2021)
- Lawdragon Insights: Private Funds (2014)