Robert G. Jones
Rob focuses on business and securities litigation, including securities class action defense, corporate governance and shareholder suits, deal-related litigation, securities enforcement matters, and other complex commercial disputes. He has represented public corporations, financial services and investment management firms, private equity clients, and individual officers and directors in corporate and securities disputes in a variety of state and federal jurisdictions. His work also includes high-profile securities enforcement matters for large operating companies, as well as investment management and financial services firms.
- Javelin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Lead counsel on behalf of seller that successfully sought to enforce terms of merger agreement in Delaware Chancery Court and force buyer to close tender offer and complete negotiated transaction.
- Xerium Technologies, Inc. Lead counsel for Xerium in connection with federal securities class action under Section 11 of the Securities Act of 1933.
- Former Governor of Massachusetts Willard Mitt Romney. Lead trial counsel on behalf of former governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts against claims by political appointee arising from appointee's contested resignation from office.
- Genzyme Corporation. Counsel for Genzyme on a variety of matters, including federal securities class action and state law actions arising from Genzyme's elimination of its tracking stock capital structure in 2003.
- State Street Bank & Trust Co. Lead counsel for State Street in connection with SEC enforcement matter arising from investments in sub-prime-related securities by certain unregistered investment trusts and disclosures in connection with those investments.
- PIMCO Income Strategy Fund and PIMCO Income Strategy Fund II. Represented in Massachusetts state court litigation initiated by insurgent investors Brigade Leveraged Capital Structures Fund, LTD. and Brigade Capital Management contesting the Fund’s setting of dates for annual shareholder meetings and arguing that the Fund’s practices were in violation of its bylaws.
- Pioneer Investments. Lead counsel for Pioneer on a variety of SEC enforcement matters.
- Evergreen Funds. Lead counsel on behalf of Evergreen Fixed Income Trust and independent trustees in federal securities class action arising out of investments by Evergreen Ultra Short Fund in mortgage-related securities and related disclosures.
- Featured, “2019 Lawyers of the Year: Robert G. Jones, Ropes & Gray, and Oren M. Sellstrom, Lawyers for Civil Rights,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (January 16, 2020)
- Quoted, “Consent decree to bring changes to Lowell elections,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (June 6, 2019)
- JD, magna cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 1995; G. Joseph Tauro Distinguished Scholar
- BSFS, Georgetown University, 1988
Admissions / Qualifications
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- The Best Lawyers in America (2022)
- Massachusetts Association of Hispanic Attorneys – Corporate Social Responsibility Award (2020)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly – Attorney of the Year (2019)
- Legal 500 - Litigation (2015-2016)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2013-2017)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (2011-2013)