James H. Kaplan
James Kaplan joined Ropes & Gray in 2007 and is a senior attorney in the private equity group in Boston. James focuses his practice on helping clients with confidentiality agreements (CAs). As Manager of the firm’s CA Review Team, James oversees a team of more than 20 attorneys dedicated to reviewing, evaluating and negotiating CAs on behalf of the firm’s clients. Last year, James managed the review and negotiation of over 1600 confidentiality agreements; in his years as a lawyer, James has personally reviewed thousands of agreements. Other responsibilities of his role include appropriately staffing matters with an eye toward client service and reviewing other documents such as engagement letters, consulting agreements, and non-reliance letters. Additionally, James serves as a liaison between clients and all other invested parties in CA negotiation processes for transactions including acquisitions as well as divestitures. He has also negotiated transactions for the distressed debt team including distressed loan purchases and sales transactions.
- Managed confidentiality agreement negotiation process for a biotechnology company divesting a business unit, involving negotiation of agreements with more than 70 bidders.
- Managed confidentiality agreement negotiation process for a private equity sponsor seeking minority investors for portfolio company, involving negotiation of agreements with over 50 bidders.
- Negotiated confidentiality agreements and access letters on behalf of a private equity client investing in acquisition of public company.
- Negotiated engagement letter between a private equity sponsor and an investment banker regarding the sale of a portfolio company.
- Negotiated distressed bank loan trade on behalf of an investment management client.
- Negotiated thousands of confidentiality agreements on behalf of clients reviewing potential transactions.
- Managed confidentiality agreement negotiations for multiple PE sponsors selling portfolio companies.
- Negotiated engagement letters and consulting agreements with banks and professional advisers.
- Negotiated hundreds of distressed loan purchase and sale transactions.