Jay J. Kim
Jay is a corporate partner in New York and former co-head of the global Finance Group. Jay focuses on leveraged finance, cross-border financings and other complex structured transactions, including acquisition financing commitments, syndicated loan financings, high yield bond offerings, junior capital and direct lending. Jay regularly represents Advent International, The Blackstone Group, CCMP Capital, THL Partners, TPG Capital and other leading private equity sponsors in leveraged buy-outs and corporate issuers with their financing needs.
Jay is recognized by Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading attorney in Banking and Finance who “thinks five steps ahead of the deal” and is recognized as “very creative, smart and tenacious” by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business.
- McAfee, LLC in approximately $4.76 billion of 1st lien (including euro tranches) and 2nd lien credit facilities. McAfee, a leading global independent cybersecurity company, was formed by TPG Capital and Intel Corporation.
- Eating Recovery Center in $325 million of 1st and 2nd lien credit facilities in relation to the acquisition of Eating Recovery Center by CCMP Capital.
- Change Healthcare, LLC in $6.6 billion of financing, including $6.6 billion of senior credit facilities and high yield bonds, in relation to the creation of a new information technology company by The Blackstone Group, Change Healthcare Holdings, Inc. and McKesson Corporation.
- Hayward Industries in $1.385 billion of ABL, 1st and 2nd lien credit facilities in relation to the acquisition of Hayward Industries by CCMP Capital.
- Truck Hero, Inc. on its $1.025 billion of 1st and 2nd lien credit facilities in relation to the acquisition of Truck Hero by CCMP Capital.
- Genoa, a QoL Healthcare Company in $1.3 billion of 1st and 2nd lien credit facilities in relation to the acquisition of Genoa by Advent International and Genoa’s dividend recapitalization transaction.
- West Corporation, a public company affiliated with THL Partners, on over $2.2 billion of term loan financing and senior secured high yield bonds.
- Ansira Holdings, Inc. on its $300 million unitranche credit facilities in relation to the acquisition of Ansira by Advent International.
- Party City (PC Nextco Holdings, LLC), a public company affiliated with THL Partners, on approximately $2.6 billion of ABL credit facilities, term loan facilities and high yield bonds.
- Pactera Technology International on its $370 million in revolving credit facilities and senior secured high yield bonds in relation to the acquisition of China-based Pactera by The Blackstone Group.
- The Weather Channel Companies on its $4.125 billion in aggregate financing including $1.8 billion financing on its acquisition by The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital, together with NBC Universal, of The Weather Channel Companies and $2.325 billion of recapitalization transactions.
- Par Pharmaceutical Companies Inc. on its $1.62 billion in credit facilities and high yield bonds in relation to the acquisition of Par by TPG Capital.
- Dunkin’ Brands on its $1.975 billion in credit facilities and high yield bonds for the leveraged recapitalization and the refinancing of its “whole business securitization.”
- Video interview, Discussed trends in leveraged finance, including the delayed impact of 2013’s Leveraged Lending Guidance, a pressurized second lien market and market implications for PE firms, The Deal (March 27, 2015)
- Quoted, “Banks Find No Relief in New Leveraged Lending Guidance,” Law360 (November 12, 2014)
- Quoted, “Fed’s Leveraged Lending Guidance Dings Traditional Banking,” Law360 (October 28, 2014)
- Video interview, Discussed banks, leverage limits and covenant-lite financing in light of Leveraged Lending Guidance, The Deal (February 12, 2014)
- Video interview, Discussed the distinction of PIK toggles at a holding versus operating company level and the effects of quantitative easing on credit markets, deal valuations and private equity, The Deal (February 11, 2014)
- Webcast panelist, “Deal Financing Uncovered,” The Deal (April 28, 2011)
- Quoted, “Q&A With Ropes & Gray’s Jay Kim,” Law360 (February 3, 2010)
- Panelist, “Direct Lending and Alternative Capital,” Practising Law Institute Leveraged Finance 2017 Conference (May 2017)
- Panelist, “Developments in Deal Financing Technologies,” Tulane University Law School 27th Annual Corporate Law Institute (March 2015)