Chune Loong Lum
Chune Loong is a partner in the firm's asset management group and is a Senior Foreign Legal Consultant in the Hong Kong office. He concentrates on representing fund sponsors and investment advisors in the structuring, launching, capitalization and ongoing operations of private investment funds, with significant experience with respect to Asia- and China-focused investment funds.
Fund formation mandates Chune Loong has worked on include private equity funds, venture capital funds, joint venture funds, credit funds, evergreen funds, auxiliary funds and other alternative investment vehicles. He also represents various Asian sovereign wealth funds, pension funds and institutional investors in structuring and negotiating their commitments into private investment funds, separate accounts and related transactions. In addition, Chune Loong has experience in representing fund sponsors and other financial institutions in their co-investment transactions, as well as advising on regulatory, compliance, governance and other related internal matters and management company issues.
Prior to rejoining Ropes & Gray, Chune Loong was regional counsel with a leading international law firm in their Singapore office. He previously practiced in the firm’s Shanghai office with the private investment funds group, where he completed a secondment with a global investment management firm in 2016. Chune Loong had earlier practiced in the New York and Hong Kong offices of another global law firm, where he represented financial institutions, state-owned entities and corporate issuers on various secured private financing transactions, as well as on debt and equity capital raising transactions.
- China Resources Capital
- CMB International
- CMC Capital Partners
- HOPU Investment Management
- Pavilion Capital
- PSA International
- RRJ Capital
- Sequoia Capital China
- True Light Capital
- Various other Asian and Canadian sovereign wealth funds
- Co-author, “Management Fee for Private Equity and Venture Capital Funds in the Post-Investment Period: A Review,” HKPEFA Newsletter (January 2014)
- Co-author, “Comment: Calculating Fees,” Private Equity International (November 29, 2013)
- JD, cum laude, University of Michigan Law School, 2009
- MPP, University of Minnesota, 2005
- B.Acc., 2nd Upper Honors, Nanyang Technological University, 2000
Admissions / Qualifications
- Hong Kong, Registered Foreign Lawyer (New York), 2018
- New York, 2010
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Investment Funds (2020-2023)