Arthur C. Mok
Arthur Mok provides strategic advice to leading life sciences companies, investors and entrepreneurs on complex life sciences transactions and related governance matters. The regional managing partner of Ropes & Gray’s Asia offices and a seasoned deal lawyer, Arthur guides clients through cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital financings, equity and cooperative joint ventures, and other commercial arrangements.
With nearly two decades of on-the-ground experience in China, Arthur is regularly called upon by C-suite executives, board members and financial advisors for his insight into the opportunities and challenges presented by China’s life sciences industry. His deep understanding of regional trends also makes him a trusted advisor on general market strategy. Clients say that Arthur is a “great business adviser” with “excellent judgement,” as reported to Chambers Greater China Region, where Arthur is ranked Band 1.
In addition to working with global pharmaceutical, medical device and biotech companies, and life sciences and healthcare investment funds focused on China, Arthur assists prominent U.S.-based hospitals and other healthcare services institutions on transactions in China.
Arthur is a founder of the firm’s Shanghai office, and is supported by an incomparable team of on-the-ground IP, regulatory and compliance colleagues focused on serving the life sciences industry.
- Quoted, “Ropes & Gray Appoints New Hong Kong Head, Goes ‘All In for Life Sciences,’” Law.com (March 10, 2022)
- Quoted, “Pharma Frenzy,” Asian Legal Business China (July 2021)
- Quoted, “Ropes Names Special Situations Co-Head as New Hong Kong MP,” Asian Legal Business (November 29, 2017)
- Quoted, “Asia-Pacific 150: The big market slowdown,” The Lawyer (27 June 2016)
- Quoted, “Ropes & Gray lawyer returns from senior APAC in-house role,” Australasian Lawyer (Nov. 13, 2018)
- Quoted, “Investors rush Into China health care,” Healthcare Asia Daily (April 21, 2014)
- Quoted, “China Health Care Sees Record Deals,” The Wall Street Journal (March 25, 2014)
- Featured, “Arthur Mok Has Joined Ropes & Gray,” Asia IP (December 14, 2012)
- Mentioned, “Ropes & Gray Shanghai bulks up with senior Hogan Lovells IP hire,” The Lawyer (September 7, 2011)
- Featured, “Ropes & Gray Opens Shanghai Office,” The AmLaw Daily (July 21, 2011)
- Quoted, “Ropes & Gray opens Shanghai base,” The Lawyer (July 21, 2011)
Admissions / Qualifications
- District of Columbia, 1998
- Chambers Asia-Pacific and Greater China: Leading Lawyer in Life Sciences (2012-2022)
- IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms (2013-2022)
- Asian Legal Business China: Top 15 M&A Lawyers – International Law Firms (2020)
- China Business Law Journal: The A-List of China’s Top 100 Lawyers (2019)
- In-House Community: Commended External Counsel of the Year in China (2018)
- Chambers Asia: Asia's Leading Lawyers in Private Equity, China (2009-2018)
- Client Choice Awards: the exclusive winner of China Healthcare & Life Sciences (2018)
- Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: A Leading Individual in Healthcare & Life Science in China (2021)
- Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Hall of Fame in Private Equity/Venture Capital, China (2021-2022)
- Who's Who Legal: Life Sciences (2015-2022)
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2016-2022)
- Asialaw’s Leading Lawyers (2013)
- Who's Who Legal: Thought Leaders (2021)