Elaine B. Murphy
Elaine B. Murphy is a tax partner in and the head of the firm’s tax, employment & benefits department. She advises a wide range of clients including institutional and global investors, fund sponsors and advisers, and multinational companies on international and U.S. tax matters related to their structuring, operation, investment activities, joint ventures and transactions.
- Represented BV Investment Partners, a middle-market private equity firm, in its sale of Butterfield Fulcrum to Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation.
- Represented Altamont Capital in its AUD$395 million financing of Billabong.
- Advises clients on cross-border acquisitions and dispositions, global expansion structuring, and cross-border financing arrangements.
- Working with institutional and independent sponsors to structure and launch global private equity, hedge and investment funds.
- Advises clients on international tax compliance matters including withholding tax and reporting issues.
- Co-author, “Proposed Regulations Remove Tax Obstacles to Secure U.S. Domestic Corporate Borrowings,” Business Law Today (December 2018)
- JD, Cornell Law School, 1998; Symposium Editor, Cornell Law Review
- LLM (International and Comparative Law), Cornell Law School, 1998
- AB, Harvard College, 1995
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 1998
- Lawdragon 500 - Leading Dealmakers in America (2021)
- Legal 500 (2016-2018, 2020)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers - Rising Stars (2005-2007)