Natalia Mercado Violand
Natalia Mercado Violand is an associate in the litigation and enforcement practice group. Natalia’s practice includes internal investigations in the U.S. and Latin America, anti-corruption due diligence, white-collar criminal defense, and civil litigation. Natalia works with a diverse group of clients, including private equity firms, health care companies, public companies, and investment management firms.
Natalia maintains a robust pro bono practice representing unaccompanied immigrant minors, separated families, and victims of violent crimes seeking legal status in the U.S.
During law school, Natalia represented indigent defendants with the Criminal Law Clinic. Natalia interned in the Non-Profit Organizations and Public Charities Division of the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office where she worked on various enforcement and litigation matters including excessive executive compensation and solicitation fraud. Natalia also served as a note editor for the Boston University International Law Journal, co-president for the Latin American Law Student Association, and teaching assistant to Contracts Professor Mark Pettit.
- Co-author, “Firing on All Cylinders: What to Expect in the PDVSA Investigation and How Companies Should Respond,” The Anti-Corruption Report (May 1, 2019) (Part 2 of 2)
- Co-author, “Firing on All Cylinders: U.S. Enforcement Efforts Against Venezuelan State-Owned Oil Company PDVSA,” The Anti-Corruption Report (April 17, 2019) (Part 1 of 2)
- Co-author, “AMLO in Office: A New Dawn in Mexico’s Fight Against Corruption?” Ropes & Gray Alert (January 8, 2019)
- Panelist, “Leading the Charge for Change: A Conversation with Education Commissioner Jeff Riley,” Teach for America Massachusetts (October 24, 2019)
- Panelist, “Leveraging Latinidad in Big Law,” Hispanic National Bar Association (October 16, 2019)
- JD, cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 2018; Note Editor, Boston University School of Law
- M.Ed, Boston University Wheelock College of Education & Human Development, 2015; Teach For America Sue Lehman Award for Excellence in Teaching
- BA (Foreign Affairs and Economics), University of Virginia, 2012
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2018
- El Mundo Boston “Latino 30 under 30” (2019)