Patrick O’Brien is co-head of the firm’s securities and public companies practice. He concentrates his practice on representing companies and underwriters in financings as well as public and private companies in M&A transactions. Patrick has extensive experience representing healthcare, life sciences and technology companies and underwriters in connection with equity and debt offerings, as well as mergers and acquisitions and royalty monetizations.
- Representative clients include:
- Zai Labs
- Quintiles IMS Holdings, Inc.
- Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Psivida, Inc.
- Represented the following issuers in their proposed initial public offerings: Zai Labs, IMS Health Holdings, Inc., Aptalis Holdings Inc., Par Pharmaceutical Holdings, Inc., Iasis Healthcare Corporation, and Petco Holdings, Inc.
- Represented the lead underwriters in initial public offerings and follow on offerings of:
- Quanterix Corporation
- Biohaven Pharmaceutical Holdings Company Ltd.
- Clementia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- CRISPR Therapeutics
- AveXis, Inc.
- Proteostasis Therapeutics, Inc.
- Radius Heath
- bluebird bio, Inc.
- Therapeutics MD
- Dimension Therapeutics, Inc.
- Ocular Therapeutics, Inc.
- Sage Therapeutics, Inc.
- Represented Par Pharmaceutical Holdings, Inc. and Immucor, Inc. in high yield bond offerings.
- Represented Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in its $610 million acquisition (plus milestones) of Enobia Inc.
- Represented LA BioMED and UCLA in its sale of a portion of its royalty interest in Kybella.
- Represented Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board in the purchase of a $168 million royalty interest from Dana Farber Cancer Institute.
- Represented a leading biotechnology company in the sale of its royalty interest in Benlysta to DRI Capital.
- Represented a publicly traded specialty pharmaceutical company in a complex acquisition and related royalty based financing.
- Represented a university in connection with the sale of a pharmaceutical royalty stream.
- Quoted, “4 Tips to Avoid a First Quarter Flop Once You Go Public,” Law360 (May 26, 2017)
- Quoted, “Five Firms to Steer IPO’s Totaling $782 Million as Deals Gather Steam,” Law360 (April 9, 2017)
- Quoted, “How Biotechs Survive Despite Volatile Capital Markets,” Law360 (March 30, 2016)
- Quoted, “These law firms are leading the way in Boston's biotech IPO boom,” The Boston Business Journal (August 5, 2015)
- Quoted, “6 People Every IPO Deal Team Needs,” Law360 (May 27, 2015)