Alfred O. Rose
Al recently stepped down as co-chair of the firm’s private equity transactions practice group and has been a partner with the firm since 1991. Al focuses his practice on leveraged buyouts, mergers and acquisitions and going private transactions and has represented leading private equity sponsors in some of the most noteworthy deals in recent years. Al regularly works with private equity sponsors such as Bain Capital, TPG Capital and Silver Lake Partners. In 2005, The American Lawyer featured Al as one of its “Dealmakers of the Year”.
- Represented Silver Lake in its $4.5 billion acquisition, along with Thoma Bravo, of SolarWinds.
- Represented TPG Capital in its $3.5 billion acquisition, along with Leonard Green & Partners, of education software provider Ellucian.
- Represented TPG Capital in its $3 billion acquisition, along with Leonard Green & Partners, of clothing retailer J. Crew Group, Inc.
- Represented TPG Capital and the CPP Investment Board in their $5.2 billion acquisition of IMS Health Inc., the largest LBO in 2009 (according to Bloomberg).
- Represented Bain Capital in its $2.15 billion stalking horse bid to purchase Neuberger Berman from the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy estate.
- Represented Bain Capital in its $26.7 billion acquisition of Clear Channel.
- Represented Silver Lake and TPG in their $8.0 billion acquisition of Avaya.
- Represented a consortium of seven private equity firms (Silver Lake Partners, Bain Capital, Blackstone, Goldman Sachs Capital Partners, Providence Equity Partners and TPG) in their $11 billion acquisition of SunGard Data Systems, at the time the largest buyout since KKR bought RJR Nabisco in 1989.
- JD, Yale Law School, 1982
- BA, summa cum laude, Dartmouth College, 1979; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2014
- Massachusetts, 1984
- IFLR1000 (2019-2022)
- Legal 500 (2013-2018, 2020)
- The Best Lawyers in America (1995-2021)
- Private Equity Manager’s The Legal Top 30 (2013)
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (2009-2018, 2020)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2006-2021)
- PLC Which Lawyer (2010-2011)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (2005-2013, 2016-2021)