Robert M. Schmidt
Rob Schmidt is a transactional asset management lawyer in the firm’s alternative asset opportunities practice. He represents institutional investors and asset managers in a range of transaction types, including GP-led recapitalizations, secondaries, co-investments and public and private securities offerings. Rob works with a team that closed more than 450 secondaries transactions worth over $146 billion in 2022. His clients are based around the globe, including the U.S., Asia, Europe and Australia, and deploy capital in broad array of asset classes and geographies.
Rob also represents registered investment companies, their independent trustees and investment advisers in regulatory, transactional and compliance matters. He regularly represents investment advisers in mergers and acquisitions and has advised registered fund complexes on shareholder activism defense.
- Advises sovereign wealth funds and institutional investors in structuring, negotiation and documentation of all stages of secondary transactions, including GP-led recapitalizations, tender offers and co-investments.
- Advises U.S. and non-U.S. investment advisors in offering of securities in connection with diverse fund strategies and compliance with applicable regulatory regimes.
- Regularly represents sovereign investors and other institutional investors in co-investment transactions.
- JD, Yale Law School, 2013
- AB (Classics), magna cum laude, Princeton University, 2003; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2013