S.J. has been a member of Ropes & Gray’s litigation & enforcement team since 2019. He has experience in handling cross-border matters relating to anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, economic and trade sanctions, as well as related misconduct, including government-initiated and internal investigations, risk assessments and transaction due diligence and portfolio company management. S.J.’s work has covered jurisdictions spanning Asia, Europe, Africa, and the Americas.
S.J. also regularly advises private equity firms, sovereign investors and other organizations involved in corporate transactions in relation to risk-based due diligence of potential targets and portfolio company risk management, as well as the review and update of compliance programs. S.J.’s practice includes a broad spectrum of risk areas, including corruption, money laundering, sanctions, and export controls.
During law school, S.J. interned for the Honorable Gregory A. Phillips in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit and the Honorable Martin L.C. Feldman in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana. He also served as Editor-in-Chief of the Tulane Journal of International and Comparative Law and as Director of the Tulane University Legal Assistance Program. Prior to law school, S.J. was a Fulbright grant recipient in Senegal and taught eighth-grade English in Baton Rouge, Louisiana as a Teach for America corps member. He is originally from Cody, Wyoming.
- Regularly advises top private equity firms and other investors on anti-corruption and anti-money laundering risk relating to portfolio companies and proposed investments globally, particularly in Europe, Asia, and the Americas.
- Advises corporate and private equity clients regarding the impact of evolving economic and trade sanctions on existing business opportunities and potential transactions.
- Reviewed, developed and implemented anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and economic and trade sanctions compliance policies for various clients including private equity companies, private equity portfolio companies, and sovereign wealth funds.
- Conducted compliance trainings for various private equity portfolio companies in English and French.
- Conducted internal investigations relating to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”) on behalf of several multinational life sciences companies; investigations included those in France, Italy, Slovenia, and Brazil.
- JD, cum laude, Tulane University Law School, 2019; Editor-in-Chief, Tulane Journal of International and Comparative Law
- BA (International Affairs & French), The George Washington University, 2013
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2020