Benjamin Wonnacott joined Ropes & Gray in 2021 as an associate in the tax and benefits group. Before joining the firm, Benjamin worked in a front-office tax structuring role in the global markets division (equities) of a U.S. investment bank and in the tax department of a UK magic circle law firm. Benjamin has also previously been seconded to a leading Italian law firm.
Benjamin has broad experience advising on the UK taxation of corporate transactions, financial instruments, real estate transactions and fund investment structures as well as international taxation matters. His clients have included multinational corporations, institutional investors, financial institutions, hedge funds, private equity funds and REITs. He also has experience of complex and high-value tax litigation matters and tax authority audits and investigations.
- Acting for TPG Capital on the $4 billion acquisition, in partnership with Francisco Partners, of integration platform Boomi from Dell Technologies
Representative matters prior to joining Ropes & Gray include:
- Acting for Trafigura in connection with its participation in the $13 billion acquisition of 98% of Essar Oil as part of a consortium including Rosneft PJSC
- Acting for Coca-Cola Enterprises in its combination and merger with Coca-Cola Iberian Partners and Coca-Cola Erfrischungsgetränke to create Coca-Cola European Partners
- Acting for PSP Investments on the €3.6 billion acquisition, in a consortium including Brookfield Infrastructure Group, APG Asset Management and Arcus Infrastructure Partners, of TDF SAS
- Acting for Santander on various real estate and vehicle finance securitisation programmes
- Acting for Alitalia on its €1.75 billion restructuring and partnership with Etihad Airways
- Acting for a multinational alcoholic beverage client in a transfer pricing investigation by HM Revenue & Customs
- Acting for Credit Suisse in its bank payroll tax litigation in the UK tax tribunal and high court
- Acting for Bluecrest in its partnership tax litigation in the UK tax tribunal
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- Capital Markets Programme Certificate, Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment, 2017
- MA (Cultural and Intellectual History 1300-1650), Distinction, The Warburg Institute, University of London School of Advanced Study, 2010
- BA (English Language and Literature), Distinction, St Hugh’s College, University of Oxford, 2009
Admissions / Qualifications
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 2014