Daniel V. Ward
Dan Ward has a wide range of experience in complex commercial disputes and securities litigation, including trials and appeals, investigations and international arbitration. His clients include public and private companies, investment advisers (including private equity sponsors, hedge funds and mutual funds) and individual officers and directors.
- Represented a private equity sponsor in expedited Delaware merger litigation concerning the application of a “material adverse event” clause in light of a public company’s performance during the COVID pandemic.
- Counsel to investors and trustees of residential mortgage-backed securities (“RMBS”) in multiple loan repurchase cases in the state and federal courts of New York, Delaware and Connecticut.
- Trial counsel during three-week RMBS trial on behalf of TMI Trust Company alleging breaches of representations and warranties by WMC Mortgage LLC, seeking repurchase of thousands of mortgage loans and seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in damages.
- Secured dismissal of parallel class action and derivative litigation filed in federal court in Massachusetts against Abiomed, Inc., alleging securities fraud and breach of fiduciary duty, with both dismissals affirmed by the First Circuit.
- Secured dismissal of class action litigation filed in federal court in Massachusetts against Seres Therapeutics, Inc., alleging securities fraud.
- Represented State Street Global Advisors in connection with ERISA and securities litigation arising from investment losses in their institutional funds.
- Represented and advised numerous companies in connection with litigation arising from mergers and acquisitions.
Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Counsel during a month-long international arbitration in Hong Kong, on a matter brought against a Chinese supplier for breach of warranty. In one of the largest international arbitration awards ever decided in Hong Kong, won a $98.5 million award on behalf of our client, with all counterclaims denied.
- Trial counsel in a $30 million wrongful termination and contractual dispute brought by a former partner of an investment management firm. Won a complete jury verdict for the defendant in a trial lasting over three weeks, and defeated the plaintiff’s subsequent appeal.
- Lead trial counsel for individual accused of misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of contract and breach of M.G.L. c. 93A in dispute among 3D metal printing companies in federal district court in Massachusetts.
- Counsel to numerous public companies, private fund managers and other investment advisers in connection with SEC examinations and enforcement matters, including responses to deficiency letters and investigative subpoenas, involving a range of issues including accounting fraud and fund management fees.
Zoning, Land Use and Real Estate
- Represented a leading REIT in multiple regulatory and land use proceedings regarding portfolio properties located in Boston; represented a public company in dispute regarding environmental remediation; represented a nationwide logistics company in a commercial leasing dispute.
- Extensive pro bono practice, including as lead trial counsel in an international child custody dispute under the Hague Convention tried in New Hampshire federal court, and numerous political asylum proceedings on behalf of refugees. Dan also serves on the board of directors of empowerHER, an organization that provides mentorship for girls that have lost their mothers.
- Co-author, “Special Servicing of CMBS Loans During Business Disruptions,” Bloomberg Law (September 18, 2020)
- Co-author, “Safeguarding Foreign Investments During A Pandemic,” Law360 (April 30, 2020)
- Co-author, “The Circuit Split On ERISA's Actual Knowledge Standard,” Law360 (October 17, 2019)
- Co-author, “‘Actual Knowledge’ and ERISA Statute of Limitations Issues in Proprietary Funds Litigation,” Lexis Practice Advisor (October 10, 2019)
- Quoted, “What the Supreme Court’s Decision in Lorenzo v. SEC Means for Fund Managers,” The Hedge Fund Law Report (April 25, 2019)
- Co-author, “Hong Kong Is Becoming A Top Int'l Arbitration Venue,” Law360 (April 11, 2019)
- Quoted, “SEC Reiterates Ratification of ALJs and Spells Out Process for Rehearings of Pending Actions,” The Hedge Fund Law Report (September 27, 2018)
- Co-author, “SEC Ratification for Defective Administrative Proceedings,” Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation (September 18, 2018)
- Quoted, “SEC administrative proceedings resume after two-month pause,” HFMWeek (August 27, 2018)
- Co-Author, “Unanswered Questions Following the Supreme Court’s Holding in ‘Lucia v. SEC’,” Bloomberg BNA’s Securities & Capital Markets (June 28, 2018)
- Co-author, “SEC Announces Two Enforcement Actions Alleging Investment Advisers Inflated Performance,” Wolters Kluwer’s Securities Regulation Daily (June 11, 2018)
- Quoted, “Biotech Startup Seres Beats Suit Over Stock Drop,” Law360 (April 2, 2018)
- Co-author, “Year in Review: Recent Developments in CFTC Enforcement,” Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law Report (January 22, 2018)
- Quoted, “Consultants Settle SEC Self Dealing, Fraud Charges,” FundFire (November 29, 2017)
- Co-author, “Inside SEC's New In-House Court Rules,” Law360 (August 1, 2016)
- Co-Author, “DOL Fiduciary Rule Implications for Private Investment Fund Managers,” Bloomberg BNA “Securities Regulation & Law Report” (June 13, 2016)
- Co-Author, “Omnicare's Square Peg Problem: Importing a Section 11 Standard Into a Section 10 Framework,” Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law Report (March 11, 2016)
- Co-Author “The SEC’s Current Views on Private Equity,” Law360 (June 1, 2015)
- “Ropes lawyer takes on dramatic international child abduction case,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (November 20, 2014)
- "Confidential Informants in National Security Investigations", 47 Boston College Law Review 627 (2006)
- JD, summa cum laude, Boston College Law School, 2006; Order of the Coif; Executive Articles Editor, Boston College Law Review
- AB (History), Princeton University, 2001
Admissions / Qualifications
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- The Best Lawyers in America (2021)
- Benchmark Litigation Future Star (2019)
- Benchmark Litigation 40 & Under Hot List (2016, 2018-2019)