Weekly highlights of what’s happening at Ropes & Gray:
- This week, as our Tokyo office celebrates its tenth anniversary, Ropes & Gray advised long-term client Bain Capital on the sale by Toshiba Corp. of its semiconductor business to a group led by Bain Capital for two trillion yen, or roughly $18 billion. The transaction is understood to be the largest deal in Japan since 2011, as well as both the largest private equity and leveraged finance deal ever seen in Asia. Investors for the Bain-led deal include Apple Inc., Seagate, Kingston, Hoya, Dell Technologies Inc. and SK Hynix.
- The Thursday announcement of the Bain-led Toshiba deal followed a separate Bain Capital Private Equity transaction on Sept. 25 in which Bain announced the sale of Carver Korea Co., Ltd., a leading skincare business, to Unilever for €2.27 billion. A cross-office team of Ropes & Gray private equity partners and associates advised Bain Capital.
- The firm’s summer-long litigation winning streak extended into the fall, when on Sept. 22 a motion to dismiss was granted in a putative healthcare-fraud class action brought against Walgreen Co. in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. The plaintiff alleged that Walgreens and other pharmacies improperly billed Medicare for insulin prescriptions, and asserted state-law claims for fraud and unjust enrichment. The court dismissed the case without allowing the plaintiff an opportunity to re-plead.
- When Senate Republican leaders announced on Tuesday that a vote would not be taken on the newest bill to repeal Obamacare, health care partner Tom Bulleit chimed in again with reporters, as he has on each of the Republican-led proposals. This time, he discussed with Law360 the likelihood of continued repeal and replace efforts from the Republican Party this year, given unsuccessful efforts to replace President Obama’s signature piece of legislation.
- The outstanding work of our E-Discovery counsel Shannon Capone Kirk has also been recognized this week; she was named to Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly’s Top Women in Law list. Ms. Kirk will be honored with fellow recipients at an event this November to celebrate the outstanding achievements made by exceptional women in Massachusetts law.
- Follow us on Twitter @RopesGray for legal insights and the latest firm news.
Stay Up To Date with Ropes & Gray
Ropes & Gray attorneys provide timely analysis on legal developments, court decisions and changes in legislation and regulations.
Stay in the loop with all things Ropes & Gray, and find our more about our people, culture, initiatives and everything that’s happening.
We regularly notify our clients and contacts of significant legal developments, news, webinars and teleconferences that affect their industries.