Compliance with Mandates of the DRA of 2005: Required Written Policies and Education on False Claims Laws, Whistleblower Protection and Internal Procedures to Detect Fraud
Richard P. Ward, a partner in our Boston office, will provide an explanation of what health care entities, who receive funding of $5 million or more, must do to comply with mandates required by the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 relating to the adoption of policies to educate employees and vendors about federal and state false claims laws, whistleblower protections and the entities' internal policies and procedures for detecting and preventing fraud. The overview will discuss:
- Continued eligibility for Medicaid;
- Required written policies for employees and vendors;
- Required additions to employee handbooks;
- Additional education requirements;
- Intent to foster whistleblower suits; and
- Limitations on requiring internal reporting of compliance issues.