The Week at Ropes & Gray: Cytel Partners with New Mountain; GDPR Myth-Busting; The Future of the Fiduciary Rule; Navigating Obamacare Open Enrollment; Technology in the Legal Profession; Examining the Shareholder Proposal Rule; Recognition for the Firm
Weekly highlights of what’s happening at Ropes & Gray:
- Massachusetts-based biotechnology company Cytel, Inc. has partnered with growth-oriented investment firm New Mountain Capital, LLC. Cytel, a global provider of software and services, is widely recognized as the industry pioneer of adaptive clinical trials and a thought-leader in statistical science. Ropes & Gray represented New Mountain in the transaction.
- A blog series by the UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office about the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) seeks to sort the fact from the fiction, covering fining powers; consent; the "misconception" that the GDPR is an unnecessary burden; and data breach reporting. An alert by privacy and cybersecurity partner Rohan Massey breaks down some of the “busted myths.”
- Nov. 1 marked the first day of open enrollment for Obamacare. In an article by CBS Money Watch, Ropes & Gray health care partner Tom Bulleit discusses navigating Obamacare open enrollment, advising consumers with difficult health insurance registration questions to contact their local legal aid society for assistance.
- An article in a series titled “The Future of Work” by Boston’s NPR News Station WBUR investigates the impact of automation on the legal profession. The article features e-discovery counsel Shannon Capone Kirk, who reflects on the evolution of document review with new and advanced technology.
- Many companies are in growing conflict with the SEC, specifically as it pertains to the enforcement of SEC Rule 14a-8, which requires companies to include shareholder proposals in the proxy materials up for vote at annual meetings. Chair of Ropes & Gray’s securities & governance practice Keith Higgins examines the rule in this video, providing examples of revisions the SEC may consider to satisfy opponents of the rule. Separately, Ropes & Gray will host an event titled “Shareholder Engagement Series: Proxy Prep” in our New York office on Nov. 29.
- In the 2018 edition of U.S. News-Best Lawyers Best Law Firms, Ropes & Gray was recognized as a top-tier firm in 22 national practice categories. Notably, the firm was named “Law Firm of the Year” for Mutual Funds Law.
- Follow us on Twitter @RopesGray for legal insights and the latest firm news.