A partner in the health care practice, Christina Bergeron provides strategic business and regulatory counsel to prominent health care and private equity clients. She regularly advises on complex transactions across a wide range of health care industry sectors. Most recently, Christina has also been advising clients on a range of issues associated with the pandemic, including navigating financial relief provisions for health care providers under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act).
With a background in business and finance, as well as hands-on experience helping to run a small business, Christina brings a unique perspective to her work. Clients value her abilities as a trusted counselor—whether talking through risk, negotiating challenging provisions or finding creative ways to resolve the myriad regulatory issues that transactions often present. They also appreciate the deep and varied knowledge of the health care landscape she has gained through her deal work.
Community is extremely important to Christina. In addition to taking an active role in mentoring and training associates at Ropes & Gray, she is involved with the firm’s pro bono efforts, specifically related to immigration. Christina also serves on the board of directors of Hospitality Homes, a nonprofit organization that provides families of patients at Boston-area hospitals with free housing through a volunteer host network.
Health Care Operations and Transactions
- Guided clients through complex mergers, acquisitions and affiliations in areas that include:
- Corporate practice of dentistry/medicine
- Home health and hospice
- Medicare Advantage risk
- Value-based contracting
- Advised 1Life Healthcare Inc., which operates under the name One Medical, on health care and related matters in its sale to Amazon for approximately $3.9 billion.
Regulatory and Compliance
- Advised clients on a full range of regulatory issues, including Medicare Advantage, value-based healthcare (including CMMI requirements), fraud and abuse, self-referral laws, licensing, and HIPAA privacy issues.
- Counseled clients in the long-term care and senior living industry on state licensing and Medicare enrollment matters, as well as other regulatory compliance and reimbursement matters. Served as certificate of need counsel for multiple adult care facilities and assisted living residence applicants in Illinois.
- Advised a pro bono client in connection with the negotiation and implementation of an EHR system and the requirements of EHR meaning use requirements.
- Advised multiple pro bono clients through immigration-related issues and filings, including federal court appearances on their behalf.