After serving as managing partner of the firm’s Silicon Valley and San Francisco offices, Jim is now a member of Ropes & Gray's governing policy committee. A trial lawyer in its intellectual property litigation group, Jim has been recognized by Chambers and named one of The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, one of the Best Lawyers In America, and one of California’s Top Intellectual Property Lawyers. He has over 30 years of experience litigating high-stakes intellectual property cases in district courts and the ITC, and was named a PTAB “Legal Lion” by Law360.
Jim frequently lectures and publishes on intellectual property issues and strategy. He also volunteers as a coach for high school mock trial and debate teams.
- Defending Apple in multiple patent infringement actions involving electronic sale and transmission of music and video, fast booting of computer operating system, real-time transaction processing, graphical user interface delivery, data storage and access systems, and digital rights management.
- Defending Samsung in multiple patent infringement actions involving digital cameras and reduced area imaging devices.
- Defending HP in multiple patent infringement matters pertaining to embedded servers, website testing, data analytics, band-limited channel allocation, and audio compression.
- Defending SAP in multiple patent infringement and trade secret matters pertaining to software for price determination, resource allocation, and supply chain management.
- Representing Emerson in ITC, district court and PTAB actions arising in the field of mesh networking.
- Representing Palo Alto Networks in a patent infringement action pertaining to network traffic monitoring.
- Representing Huawei in multiple patent infringement actions pertaining to telecommunications technology and user interfaces.
- Representing Teradyne in an action for infringement of patent and copyrights, breach of contract.
- Representing Becton Dickinson in an action to redress trade secret misappropriation and related torts arising in the field of cytometry.
- Representing Tristar in an action for infringement of patents directed to innovations in collapsible hose technology.
- Representing IP Bridge in several patent infringement actions arising in the field of semiconductor manufacturing and wireless communication systems.
- Representing Egenera in an action for infringement of a patent directed to a reconfigurable virtual processing network.
- Defending Walker Edison in ITC and district court actions alleging copyright infringement.
- Represented TiVo in multiple ITC and district court patent infringement and contract actions involving interactive program guides and related technologies.
- BitTitan v. SkyKick. Defended SkyKick in action asserting a patent directed to cloud-based data migration.
- Novitaz v. Swirl. Defended Swirl in action asserting a patent directed to location-based marketing.
- Motorola v. Microsoft. Represented Motorola in ITC and district court patent infringement actions involving the Xbox 360, Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 9.
- Applied Medical v. Ethicon Endo-Surgery. Represented Applied to redress unfair competition and false advertising in medical device market.