Michael Doherty is a partner in the asset management group and co-head of Ropes & Gray’s registered funds practice. He provides advice to investment advisers, funds and independent directors on launching and operating a wide variety of fund products, including registered funds, private funds and business development companies. In addition, he counsels asset manager sponsors on transactional matters and new product development.
Clients value Michael’s practical advice, as well as his command of regulatory and compliance issues across the asset management spectrum. As sources tell Chambers, “He is exactly what you want in a lawyer…always prepared and always able to give us insights beyond material in front of us.” Michael has also been recognized as “highly regarded” by IFLR1000.
- Counsel to the Independent Trustees of the J.P. Morgan Mutual Funds and Exchange-Traded Funds.
- Day-to-day regulatory and operational advice to Natixis Global Asset Management and its affiliated mutual funds.
- Counsel to Carlyle AlpInvest Private Markets Fund, a registered fund of private market investments.
- Private fund, registered fund and investment adviser regulatory advice to Pacific Investment Management Company.
- Transactional, regulatory and private fund advice to iCapital Network.
- Ongoing advice to Cohen & Steers Capital Management and its sponsored open-end and closed-end investment companies.
- Fund organization, transaction assistance and regulatory advice to Siguler Guff & Company, a multi-product private equity boutique.
- Counsel to the Board of Directors of Saratoga Investment Corp., a publicly traded business development company.
- Fund and Independent Director counsel to the Lord Abbett Funds.