Joshua Jackson is counsel in the technology and intellectual property practice groups. With a background in electrical engineering and computer science, Josh advises public and private companies, investors, and universities in a variety of transactions where technology, data or IP assets are the fundamental drivers. These transactions include intellectual property licensing and transfer, product development and research collaborations, joint ventures, technology-focused mergers and acquisitions, cloud contracts, branding, supply agreements, copyright and trademark matters, venture financings and other strategic relationships. Josh works with companies in a broad range of industries including fintech, digital health, biotechnology, artificial intelligence, semiconductor, cloud-computing, software, pharmaceutical, medical device, and media and entertainment industries. Josh also advises companies in connection with digital asset custody and on transactional matters that focus on blockchain, non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and cryptocurrency.
In addition to his transactional experience, Josh has extensive experience assisting clients ranging from small start-up companies to large domestic and international corporations with preparing and prosecuting patent applications, strategically developing and managing patent portfolios, forming IP ownership and monetization strategies, and conducting patent infringement, validity and freedom to operate analyses for a wide range of technologies.
Prior to joining the firm, Josh's biomedical engineering graduate work at the University of Michigan focused on research topics in the area of implantable MEMS neural probes and in exploiting the near-infrared absorbance properties of carbon nanotubes for destroying cancerous cells. Josh has also worked at Cleveland Clinic where he researched the effects of Deep Brain Stimulation on Parkinson's disease.
- Represented TPG Growth in connection with its acquisition of Musixmatch, a music lyrics tech and data company based in Italy.
- Represented TPG Capital in connection with its acquisition of Wind River Systems, Inc., a world leader in embedded software for intelligent connected systems, from Intel Corporation.
- Represented McAfee Corp. in connection with its acquisition by an investor group comprised of Advent, Permira, Crosspoint Capital, CPP Investments, GIC and ADIA for over $14 billion.
- Represented HP Inc. in its acquisition of Teradici Corporation, a global innovator in remote computing software.
- Represented TPG Capital in connection with its $4 billion divestiture of McAfee’s enterprise assets to Symphony Technology Group in a complex carve-out deal.
- Represented Astra, a rocket launch startup that provides satellite delivery service, in its US$2.1 billion business combination with Holicity, a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC).
- Represented a technology company in connection with a complex cross-license required under a settlement agreement.
- Represented Bain Capital in a $900 million acquisition of Extrahop, a leader in cloud-native cybersecurity, network detection and response.
- Represented MACOM Technology Solutions, a leading supplier of high-performance RF, microwave, millimeterwave, and lightwave semiconductor products, in its acquisition of Applied Micro Circuits Corporation.
- Represented Invesco in its strategic acquisitions of various companies with robo advisor and asset rebalancing technologies.
- Represented Flight Centre Travel Group in its investment in, and collaboration with, The Upside Travel Company to integrate its cutting edge artificial intelligence and machine learning technology platform and software.
- Represented Homology Medicines in its research and development collaboration with Novartis to use Homology's gene editing technology to develop new treatments for select ophthalmic targets and hemoglobin blood disease.