Julie Jones is chair of Ropes & Gray and has been a member of the firm’s management committee since 2011. One of the world’s premier corporate lawyers, Julie has won countless accolades for her work on behalf of clients that include some of the world’s largest companies and investors. In 2022, under Julie’s leadership, Ropes & Gray was named as The American Lawyer’s “Law Firm of the Year” and ranked #1 on The American Lawyer’s prestigious “A-List”, an unprecedented achievement for a law firm. Julie has also been honored as one of Financial Times’ “Top Law Firm Leaders”, one of The American Lawyer’s prestigious “45 Under 45”, and later named “Corporate Lawyer of the Year” for both 2017 and 2019 and as “M&A Lawyer of the Year” in 2016 and 2018 by The Best Lawyers in America. Chambers ranks Julie as an “Eminent Practitioner” for Corporate/M&A.
Over the course of her career, Julie has led numerous multibillion-dollar deals, prompting clients to describe her as a “preternaturally cool-headed negotiator.” She has guided blockbuster deals across industries, including in health care (represented IASIS Healthcare in its sale to Steward Health Care, creating the largest for-profit hospital operator in the United States), technology (represented TPG in its investment in Etsy), medical devices (represented TPG in its acquisition of Exactech, a leading provider of innovative bone and joint restoration products) and retail (represented Petco in its sale to CVC Capital Partners and the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board).
Julie’s ability to combine her market-leading knowledge of federal securities laws with business acumen has caused clients to describe her as unique in the marketplace Chambers commented that “she can get down into the nitty-gritty and go head to head with the nerdiest, but she can also step back and be a field general for the client, seeing the big picture.”
Working out of the firm’s New York and Boston offices, Julie is a member of the Committee on Federal Regulation of Securities of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association. She is a graduate of Wellesley College and Cornell Law School.
- Represented TPG in its agreement to make a strategic minority investment in Anastasia Beverly Hills, a high-growth, prestige beauty company.
- Represented TPG in its acquisition of Exactech, a leading provider of innovative bone and joint restoration products.
- Represented IASIS Healthcare in its sale to Steward Health Care, creating the largest private for-profit hospital operator in the United States.
- Represented TPG in its investment in Etsy, Inc.
- Represented TPG in its acquisition from Intel of McAfee Security Unit.
- Represented TPG Capital in its definitive agreement to acquire Mediware Information Systems, Inc. from Thoma Bravo.
- Represented TPG in its acquisition of Beaver-Visitec International, a leading provider of specialized surgical devices.
- Represented Petco, a leading pet specialty retailer, in its sale to CVC Capital Partners and the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board.
- Represented TPG in the sale of Par Pharmaceuticals to Endo International.
- Represented Thomas H. Lee Partners in its acquisition of Curo Health Services, a leading hospice care provider.
- Represented TPG in its acquisition of Arden Group.
- Represented TPG in its investment in Advent Software, Inc.
- Represented Taylor Morrison, one of the largest public homebuilders in North America, in its IPO.
- Represented Avaya, Inc. in its bond exchange offer and proposed IPO.
- Represented LPL Financial, the nation’s largest independent broker-dealer network, in its IPO, believed to be the largest U.S. IPO of 2010 for a private equity portfolio company.
- Represented TPG in the acquisition of J. Crew Group, Inc., a leading American clothing retailer.
- Represented Thomas H. Lee Partners in its acquisition of inVentiv Health, Inc., a pharmaceutical services provider.