Matt is an experienced trial attorney with a diverse commercial litigation practice focusing on high-stakes business disputes. Matt represents private equity firms, hedge funds, and public companies in the technology and biotech industries in a broad range of commercial disputes and enforcement matters. Clients regularly seek his counsel on antitrust disputes, bankruptcy litigation, corporate governance and D&O issues, and securities litigation. Matt has extensive experience in all phases of litigation, including trials and appeals, and has practiced and appeared before state and federal courts throughout the country.
Matt also counsels clients on a broad array of securities enforcement related matters, with a particular focus on trading issues facing asset management clients.
- Litigation counsel for Google in the ongoing United States v. Google (D.D.C.) monopolization suit. The United States v. Google litigation earned Ropes & Gray recognition for ‘Behavioral Matter of the Year’ in 2022 by Global Competition Review.
- Litigation counsel for Elliott Management as the largest unsecured creditor in the chapter 11 cases of Energy Future Intermediate Holding Company LLC ("EFIH") and its affiliated debtors in litigation successfully opposing a proposed transaction for the sale of EFIH's equity interest in its regulated distribution subsidiary in favor of an alternative transaction.
- Trial counsel for TravelCenters of America in highly expedited proceedings in Delaware Court of Chancery concerning the purported termination of a business-critical merchant contract. The trial culminated in judgment for our client and an award of attorneys’ fees.
- Trial counsel for investment bank in widely publicized five-week jury trial about bank’s role as financial adviser in connection with a $600 million stock sale to Belgian firm before that firm’s fraud was revealed. The trial culminated in a complete verdict for our client.
- Counsel to the Special Investigation Committee of Enjoy Technology, Inc. in connection with the investigation of potential estate causes of action as part of Enjoy’s chapter 11 cases.
- Litigation counsel to the independent director of Basic Energy Services, Inc., in connection with the investigation and pursuit of estate causes of action as part of Basic’s chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel for asset management client in expedited distressed debt litigation, resulting in a complete victory for our client at both trial and appellate levels.
- Litigation counsel to the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Debtor Centric Brands, Inc. in connection with its investigation of potential claims to be brought on behalf of the estate.
- Litigation counsel to the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Debtor Sanchez Energy in connection with its investigation of potential claims to be brought on behalf of the estate.
- Trial counsel in commercial leasing dispute involving claims of unfair and deceptive business practices, which culminated in a finding of no unfair or deceptive practices by our client.
- Counsel for Fortune 500 company in antitrust litigation involving allegations of conspiracy and boycott.
- Counsel for leading cable company in multiple antitrust tying lawsuits, all resolved on favorable terms.
- Counsel for leading technology company in securities class action alleging fraud following a $900 million restatement.
- Counsel for publicly traded healthcare company in suit against manager of healthcare facilities.
- Counsel for companies, shareholders, and acquirers in litigation arising out of M&A transactions.
- Counsel for multiple firms in connection with insider trading investigations.