Jimena Acuña Smith is counsel in the asset management group. She focuses her practice on the representation of investment management industry clients, including mutual funds, investment advisers, and boards of independent trustees. She advises clients on the establishment, registration, reorganization, termination and ongoing operation of retail and institutional fund products; the creation and implementation of compliance programs; and the preparation and review of shareholder communications and offering documents. Jimena takes a practical approach to assisting clients with compliance, examination, and other regulatory issues with the Securities and Exchange Commission. She has considerable experience negotiating service provider and other contractual arrangements. Jimena also works with clients to respond to new rules, regulations, and guidance.
Jimena maintains an active pro bono practice and has successfully represented asylum seekers before the immigration courts in California and Texas.
- Represents the Impax Funds and the Independent Trustees of the Impax Funds in a wide variety of matters, including the development of new products, compliance matters, investment activities, and service provider arrangements.
- Represents the Jackson National Life Funds on a wide range of corporate, compliance, and regulatory matters.
- Represents Pacific Investment Management Company LLC and its registered closed-end funds on a wide range of corporate, compliance, and regulatory matters.
- Represents Jackson Square Partners, LLC in general corporate, compliance, and other matters.
- Advises asset managers on a wide range of regulatory and compliance matters, including new regulations, ESG and responsible investing, the establishment and implementation of compliance programs, and enforcement matters.
- Advises asset managers on the day-to-day operation of registered investment companies employing alternative investment strategies.
- Advises asset managers new to the registered investment company space.