Patrick Smith is an associate in Ropes & Gray’s corporate department. Patrick represents domestic and international private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies in a wide range of domestic, cross-border, and global corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, dispositions, co-investments and corporate governance matters.
During law school, Patrick interned at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Florida, where he assisted prosecutors in the Asset Forfeiture Division and as an Honors Intern for the Securities & Exchange Commission in the Division of Corporation Finance specifically dealing with mergers & acquisitions. Patrick also served as the editor-in-chief of the Howard Law Journal.
- Represented Silver Lake Partners’ portfolio company Weld North Education (n/k/a Imagine Learning) in its $80 million acquisition of Winsor Learning, a nationally recognized leader in intervention and supplemental literacy products, from its sole owner.
- Represented Kohlberg & Company in its $900 million acquisition of Riveron Consulting, a leading business advisory firm, from H.I.G. Capital.
- Represents Activant Capital in many of its minority investments.
- Represented H.I.G. Capital in its $525 million acquisition of Oxford Global Resources, a leading provider of IT and professional services, from ASGN Incorporated.
- Represented Francisco Partners and TPG Capital in their $4 billion joint acquisition of Boomi, a provider of cloud-based integration platform as a service (iPaaS), from Dell Technologies.
- Represented Partners Group in its $330 million acquisition of VelocityEHS, a leading provider of cloud EHS & ESG solutions, from CVC Partners.
- Represented Kohlberg’s portfolio company AWP, Inc. in its $180 million acquisition of Statewide Safety Systems, a leading provider of traffic control products and services, from Sterling Partners.
- Represented Bain Capital in connection with obtaining financing for its acquisition or ExtraHop Network, a provider of AI-based network intelligence in the security space.
- Represented American Industrial Partners on the acquisition by its portfolio company Rand Logistics (Rand) of American Steamship Company (ASC) from GATX for $260 million. Both Rand and ASC operate U.S. flagged vessels providing bulk-shipping services on the Great Lakes.