Kevin White is counsel at Ropes & Gray in the San Francisco office. He is a member of the asset management group and the alternative asset opportunities group. Within the asset management group he is a part of the private funds practice and the sponsor solutions practice. He focuses his practice on representing private investment fund sponsors on a wide range of matters, including general partner-led restructurings, fund structuring and formation, regulatory compliance, internal economic and governance considerations, co-investment arrangements, and succession planning. His sponsor representation also includes work with hedge funds and commodity pools. This diverse experience gives Kevin broad perspective that his clients value.
Kevin advises on GP-led restructurings ranging in size from approximately $150 million to several billion dollars, and in complexity from single-asset lift-outs to multi-portfolio company and multi-fund asset transfers.
Kevin’s fund formation experience is equally diverse, encompassing work for first-time fund managers, established and diversified asset managers, and managers within that spectrum. He has worked with flagship private equity funds ranging from $250 million to several billion dollars. Kevin has extensive experience advising on the formation of co-investment vehicles.
Alternative Asset Opportunities
Kevin regularly advises buyers and sellers in secondary transactions. He also represents lead investors in GP-led restructurings.
Drawing on his experience teaching economics to undergraduates while in law school, Kevin enjoys guiding clients through complex and novel transactions and offering practical advice. He also makes it a priority to train junior lawyers on applicable law, market terms and fund structuring.
- Alpine Investors in its $362 million single-asset lift out of a portfolio company, including $100 million of commitments for follow-on commitments*
- TPG Growth in its GP-led restructuring of $2.04 billion TPG Growth II*
- Accel-KKR in its GP-led restructuring of $1.4 billion Accel-KKR Capital Partners III*
- A Los Angeles-based manager on its liftout of two portfolio companies to a continuation vehicle*
- A Chicago-based manager on its single-asset liftout of a portfolio company to a continuation vehicle*
- Multiple New York-based managers in stapled tender offer transactions
- Francisco Partners in a minority investment in the private equity firm by Blackstone’s Strategic Capital Group and Goldman Sachs Asset Management’s Petershill program*
- Alpine Investors on its formation of its $2.25 billion Fund VIII and related upper-tier economic structuring*
- Numerous co-investment fundraises for GI Partners*
- Representation of first time fund manager in formation of a $300 million first time fund and related upper-tier economic structuring*
Alternative Asset Opportunities
- Partners Group in its acquisition of a portfolio of fund interests from institutional sellers
- Two well-known secondaries investor firms in their capacities as lead investors in a multi-billion dollar GP-led restructuring
- An investment trust in its sale of several underlying fund interests in a secondary sale
- A fund-of-funds manager in its sale of several underlying fund interests in a secondary sale
- Advising several syndicate investors in GP-led restructurings and current investors with election opportunities in such transactions
*Representations prior to joining Ropes & Gray