Ropes & Gray’s global antitrust team offers top-flight representation across the full spectrum of antitrust matters. Built around veterans of the U.S. Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission, and including litigators and former prosecutors with deep antitrust experience, our global team has the experience, knowledge, and everyday understanding of business practices to help clients in all areas of antitrust law. We are routinely recognized as a leading practice by Chambers and Legal 500, with attorneys ranked highly in multiple jurisdictions.
We litigate complex antitrust cases, including patent-antitrust and price-fixing class actions, in U.S. state and federal courts as well as EU litigations before the UK High Court and the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal. We handle civil and criminal antitrust investigations before antitrust enforcement agencies in the U.S., Europe and Asia. We also represent clients on global cartel matters. Our collective experience before antitrust agencies in the U.S., Europe and Asia allows us to provide a seamless service globally and reflects a variety of strategic factors in decision-making.
The firm’s antitrust group has an extensive record of success representing clients clearing transactions before U.S. antitrust enforcement agencies, including in Second Request investigations, the UK Competition and Markets Authority, the European Commission and other EU institutions. Our leading HSR practice provides companies with clear guidance on regulatory filing requirements and frequently coordinates merger filings in jurisdictions around the world.
Our antitrust team works seamlessly across industries with our leading corporate and litigation practices offering clients a full range of services including:
Ropes & Gray’s antitrust attorneys have cleared some of the most notable mergers and acquisitions of the past decade and have successfully represented clients in court and before arbitral panels as well as antitrust agencies in the U.S., Europe and Asia. Clients regularly turn to us for antitrust counseling on their most difficult and sensitive issues, with recent successful work that includes:
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Bain Capital in connection with its consortium acquisition of Toshiba Memory Corporation for approximately $18 billion
- Shire in its $32 billion combination with Baxalta Inc. in the largest rare disease drug combination
- Pfizer in its nearly $14 billion acquisition of Medivation, Inc.
- Emory Healthcare in its strategic partnership with DeKalb Medical in Atlanta, Georgia
- Warburg Pincus and its Dubai-based portfolio company, Network International in its acquisition of Emerging Markets Payments from Actis, creating the largest payments processor in the Middle East and Africa
- Access CIG, LLC in connection with the Department of Justice’s review of Access’ acquisition of Arkive Information Management, Inc.
- Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe as part of a consortium of buyers including TPG Capital and Humana Inc., in its $4 billion acquisition of Kindred Healthcare
- Summit Partners in its acquisition of Sound Inpatient Physicians Holdings from Fresnius Medical Care
- Bain Capital in its acquisition of Blue Coat Systems, Inc. from Thoma Bravo, LLC in a cash transaction valued at $2.4 billion
- TPG in its acquisition of debt and equity positions from Credit Suisse valued at greater than $1 billion
- Wright Medical Technology in its cross-border merger of equals with Amsterdam-based Tornier, N.V., for a combined equity value of $3.3 billion
- Westchester Medical Center in its acquisition of two hospitals in New York owned and operated by Health Alliance
- Key Food Store Cooperative, Inc. in its acquisition of several A&P grocery stores out of bankruptcy
- China Oceanwide in its $650 million acquisition of International Data Group, Inc.
- Hitachi-LG Data Services in direct and indirect purchaser antitrust class actions alleging price-fixing
- Cablevision in an unlawful tying and monopolization suit in connection with cable set-top boxes
- Charter Communications in connection with the State AG suit to block T-Mobile/Sprint
- Eversource in connection with a class action suit alleging violations of federal and state antitrust and consumer protection laws resulting in $3.6 billion overpayment of electricity costs by New England consumers
- Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings and Polar Air Cargo LLC, in a multi-district antitrust litigation alleging market manipulation and claiming that our clients’ international pricing practices violated U.S., state, and European Union antitrust laws
- Salt Lake Regional Medical Center, Steward Healthcare (successor to IASIS Healthcare) and others in a suit brought by a prominent surgeon arising out of the summary suspension of his medical staff privileges
- Multinational biotechnology company in a suit alleging antitrust claims and common law claims arising out of the termination of a distribution agreement
By anticipating antitrust concerns, we are able to preempt issues before they affect crucial operations, counseling clients on their most important business arrangements, as well as interactions with suppliers, customers, and competitors. Companies we counsel include, among others:
- 3i Group PLC
- Bain Capital
- Becton Dickinson
- General Atlantic
- Genstar Capital
- IASIS Healthcare
- MultiPlan, Inc.
- NYU Langone Medical Center
- The Jackson Laboratory
- TJX Cos.
- TPG Capital
- Warburg Pincus
- Wright Medical Technology
- Benchmark Litigation 2020
- GCR 100 2020
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2020
- Chambers Global 2019
- Chambers USA 2019
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019
- Best Law Firms 2019
- The Legal 500 US 2019
- The Legal 500 UK 2019
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers 2016
- Top 100: Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers Top List
- LMG Life Sciences 2018