Ropes & Gray’s global antitrust team offers top-flight representation across the full spectrum of antitrust matters. Built around veterans of the U.S. Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission, and including litigators and former prosecutors with deep antitrust experience, our global team has the experience, knowledge, and everyday understanding of business practices to help clients in all areas of antitrust law. We are routinely recognized as a leading practice by Chambers USA, with attorneys ranked highly in multiple jurisdictions.
We litigate complex antitrust cases, including patent-antitrust and price-fixing class actions, in U.S. state and federal courts as well as EU litigations before the UK High Court and the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal. We handle civil and criminal antitrust investigations before antitrust enforcement agencies in the U.S., Europe and Asia. We also represent clients on global cartel matters. Our collective experience before antitrust agencies in the U.S., Europe and Asia allows us to provide a seamless service globally and reflects a variety of strategic factors in decision-making.
The firm’s antitrust group has an extensive record of success representing clients clearing transactions before U.S. antitrust enforcement agencies, including in Second Request investigations, the UK Competition and Markets Authority, the European Commission and other EU institutions. Our leading HSR practice provides companies with clear guidance on regulatory filing requirements and frequently coordinates merger filings in jurisdictions around the world.
Our antitrust team works seamlessly across industries with our leading corporate and litigation practices offering clients a full range of services including:
Ropes & Gray’s antitrust attorneys have cleared some of the most notable mergers and acquisitions of the past decade and have successfully represented clients in court and before arbitral panels as well as antitrust agencies in the U.S., Europe and Asia. Clients regularly turn to us for antitrust counseling on their most difficult and sensitive issues, with recent successful work that includes:
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Shire in its $32 billion combination with Baxalta Inc. in the largest rare disease drug combination
- Pfizer in its nearly $14 billion acquisition of Medivation, Inc.
- Warburg Pincus and its Dubai-based portfolio company, Network International in its acquisition of Emerging Markets Payments from Actis, creating the largest payments processor in the Middle East and Africa
- Bain Capital in its acquisition of Blue Coat Systems, Inc. from Thoma Bravo, LLC in a cash transaction valued at $2.4 billion
- TPG in its acquisition of debt and equity positions from Credit Suisse valued at greater than $1 billion
- Wright Medical Technology in its cross-border merger of equals with Amsterdam-based Tornier, N.V., for a combined equity value of $3.3 billion
- Westchester Medical Center in its acquisition of two hospitals in New York owned and operated by Health Alliance
- Key Food Store Cooperative, Inc. in its acquisition of several A&P grocery stores out of bankruptcy
- China Oceanwide in its $650 million acquisition of International Data Group, Inc.
- Kohlberg & Company in connection with its sale of Pittsburg Glass Works to LKQ Corporation for approximately $635 million
- Google in its $2.35 billion sale of Motorola Home to Arris
- Berkshire Partners in its $2.0 billion acquisition of Lightower Fiber Networks, and Sidera Networks
- Hitachi-LG Data Services in direct and indirect purchaser antitrust class actions alleging price-fixing
- Cablevision in an unlawful tying and monopolization suit in connection with cable set-top boxes
- Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings and Polar Air Cargo LLC, in a multi-district antitrust litigation alleging market manipulation and claiming that our clients’ international pricing practices violated U.S., state, and European Union antitrust laws
- IASIS Healthcare in a suit brought by a prominent surgeon arising out of the summary suspension of his medical staff privileges
- Multinational biotechnology company in a suit alleging antitrust claims and common law claims arising out of the termination of a distribution agreement
- Illinois Tool Works in a suit involving federal and state law antitrust conspiracy claims
- Lloyd’s of London in multiple antitrust class actions alleging that contingent commission arrangements among insurers and brokers unlawfully allocated customers
- TravelCenters of America in an action alleging a horizontal and vertical group boycott in connection with the provision of fuel card services to trucking companies
By anticipating antitrust concerns, we are able to preempt issues before they affect crucial operations, counseling clients on their most important business arrangements, as well as interactions with suppliers, customers, and competitors. Companies we counsel include, among others:
- 3i Group PLC
- Bain Capital
- Becton Dickinson
- General Atlantic
- IASIS Healthcare
- MultiPlan, Inc.
- NYU Langone Medical Center
- TJX Cos.
- TPG Capital
- Warburg Pincus
- Wright Medical Technology