Science, technology and business leaders turn to Ropes & Gray to handle their critical intellectual property matters. With IP litigation attorneys in seven offices across the United States, Japan and South Korea, we are able to work closely with clients to devise strategic solutions that best serve their business needs. We are well-versed in all areas of IP law, including:
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Copyright Infringement
- Freedom to Operate
- International Strategy and Coordination of Proceedings
- ITC Proceedings / Section 337
- Patent Litigation
- Post-Grant Proceedings
- Trademark & False Advertising Litigation
- Trade Secret Litigation
Technical Depth, Industry Breadth
Clients want a firm with the resources and commitment to achieve their business goals. We have over 130 attorneys focusing on IP litigation who work seamlessly across our offices. More than 150 of our attorneys and technical advisors have degrees in disciplines such as electrical engineering, organic and synthetic chemistry, computer science, pharmacology, biochemistry, molecular and cellular biology, neurobiology, immunology, genetics, chemical engineering, biophysics, polymer science, and aerospace engineering. More than 55 of our attorneys and technical advisors have advanced degrees, including over 35 with Ph.D.s in science or engineering.
A Leader in the Field
Ropes & Gray’s IP litigation trial team is consistently recognized as a leader by national and global publications, including Chambers USA, Chambers Asia, Chambers Global, Benchmark Litigation, International Asset Management and Managing IP. We were named 2014 “Law Firm of the Year” for patent litigation by U.S. News & World Report-Best Lawyers, and were also recognized nationally for patent law, copyright law, trademark law and intellectual property litigation. We had 21 attorneys recognized in the 2013 edition of the IAM Patent 1000 Guide, including for post-grant and ITC proceedings, and the International Who’s Who of Patent Lawyers named six Ropes & Gray attorneys to its distinguished list for 2013
Groundbreaking Graphics Team
Establishing and protecting the value of today’s most advanced, complex technologies often requires communicating sophisticated and subtle technical ideas to judges, juries, government agencies and investors, many of whom have limited technical backgrounds. To achieve optimal communication, we rely on the skills of our attorneys, supported by an award-winning in-house graphics and animation team. Our graphics professionals create state-of-the-art 2D and 3D static and animated visual media to ensure that the Ropes & Gray team can communicate with the most advanced technical experts and convey information in a clear and persuasive manner to judges and juries alike.
A Winning Team
With IP litigation at an all-time high, clients are increasingly looking for a law firm with a proven combination of business acumen and trial prowess. Ropes & Gray IP trial lawyers have recently achieved the following outstanding results for clients:
- A groundbreaking victory for SAP America in the first covered business method review trial initiated under the new post-grant challenge proceedings created by the America Invents Act
- Secured a favorable result on behalf of a multinational alcoholic beverages company in the first investigation of the International Trade Commission’s pilot program for possible early disposition of cases
- A summary judgment win for Purdue Pharma marking the end of 14 years of litigation relating to Purdue’s OxyContin® pain medication
- A decisive win for Becton Dickinson and Nova Biomedical against Therasense and Abbott Laboratories in one of the most significant patent decisions to date on the issue of inequitable conduct
- An appellate victory for PerkinElmer and NTD Laboratories in one of the Federal Circuit’s first attempts to apply the Supreme Court’s decision in Mayo v. Prometheus
- A key Federal Circuit ruling for RouteOne, marking the first Federal Circuit decision to invalidate under Bilski a patent claim which expressly recites the use of a computer to perform the claimed method
- A favorable settlement on behalf of NEC in a suit involving patents that had previously secured a jury verdict of $105.75 million in damages
- Successfully opposing a preliminary injunction, and securing a victory in the ensuing appeal, on behalf of TransAct Technologies in a trade secret misappropriation case
- A victory for ProShares when the District Court enforced a covenant not to sue in favor of our clients, removing 98.5 percent of the assets subject to the patent infringement claims
- Representing TRIA Beauty and its spokesperson, reality television star Kim Kardashian, in a false advertising litigation against Radiancy.
- Recipient of the 2014 U.S. News-Best Lawyers “Law Firm of the Year Award” – based on client and peer feedback for being the leading patent litigation practice in the nation.
- U.S. News World Reports – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” Report 2014 – Nationally recognized and highly ranked in copyright law, information technology law, trademark law, patent law, patent litigation and intellectual property litigation.
- Chambers Asia 2014: Asia’s Leading Lawyers for Business – IP group recognized in China, Japan and South Korea, with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field.
- Chambers USA 2013: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – IP group recognized nationally and in California, Massachusetts and New York, with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field.
- Chambers Global 2013: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business – IP group recognized in China, Japan and the U.S., with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field in these regions and South Korea.
- IAM Patent 1000 2013 – Ropes & Gray ranked nationally and in California, Illinois, New York, Washington, D.C., Massachusetts, Japan and China, with 21 partners recognized, including for ITC and post-grant proceedings.
- Benchmark Litigation 2014 – Nationally recognized for IP litigation, with five attorneys recognized as litigation stars in California, New York, Massachusetts and the United States.
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2014 – Ranked in China and Japan as a leading “Intellectual Property – Foreign Firms practice.”
- Vault Law Firm Rankings 2014 – Ranked among the top ten law firms for IP.
- The Best Lawyers in America 2007-2014 – Multiple IP partners recognized as leaders in their field.
- Managing IP’s “World IP” survey 2013 – Ropes & Gray identified as a leader in “Japan—Foreign Firms, Patent,” “China—Foreign Firms, Patent” and “U.S.—National Firms, Patent-Contentious, Patent-Prosecution, Copyright, Bio Life Sciences and Trademark-Contentious.”
- Asian Legal Business IP Rankings 2013 – Ropes & Gray listed as a leading law firm in China and Japan.
- Asia IP’s The Patent Survey 2013 – Recognized among foreign firms in China and Japan for a leading patent practice.
- Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Patent Practitioners 2013 – Ten attorneys listed as leaders in the United States.
- The International Who’s Who of Life Science Lawyers 2013 – Three IP attorneys named in the IP sector for the elite list.
- World Trademark Review’s WTR1000 2013 – Ranked as a top firm in Massachusetts for trademark law, with one attorney recognized as a leader in the field.
- Law360 MVP 2013 – One IP litigation partner named as an MVP for intellectual property.
- Daily Journal’s Top 75 IP Litigators 2013 – Two IP litigation partners named to the elite list in California.
- LMG Life Sciences Guide 2012 – Ropes & Gray’s IP practice recognized in the United States, with four IP partners recognized as leaders in their field.
- The International Who’s Who of Patent Lawyers 2012– Four Ropes & Gray partners named to the elite list.
- Managing IP’s North American Awards 2012 – Winner of Strength in Diversity award and named a finalist for the U.S. Life Science/Biotech Firm of the Year.
- Super Lawyers 2012 – Multiple IP partners recognized as leaders in their field.
- The American Lawyer’s “Litigators of the Week” 2012 – Two IP litigation partners were recognized as leading litigators.
- Two partners from Ropes & Gray’s IP group are Fellows in the American College of Trial Lawyers.
- Two of the IP group’s trial attorneys have been inducted into the Litigation Counsel of America