For over 150 years, our global intellectual property group has provided clients across the world with a broad spectrum of IP services, handling cutting-edge cases, transactions and other strategic matters from six offices in key cities across the United States – Boston, Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, and Washington, D.C. and four international offices in London, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Seoul. On the ground across three different continents, our intellectual property professionals provide clients with around-the-clock, top-tier IP support on an international stage.
Our IP attorneys represent clients across a wide range of industries, including: technology, media and telecommunications; life sciences; retail and consumer products; private equity; financial services; health care; and education. Whether the goal is protecting IP assets, forming a venture, securing capital, developing technology, issuing securities, licensing IP rights or making acquisitions, our IP team stands ready to offer cohesive and comprehensive guidance.
Intellectual Property Offerings
- Biotechnology & Pharmaceuticals
- Brand, Ownership & Licensing
- Co-Branding & Distribution Allowances
- Defensive & Offensive Patent Pooling
- False Advertising
- Innovation Development & Acquistions
- International IP Transactions
- IP-Backed Finance
- ITC/Section 337 Proceedings
- Joint Ventures & Alliances
- Medical Devices
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Strategy
- Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology & Medical Devices
- Post-Grant Proceedings
- Privacy & Cybersecurity
- Technology, Media & Telecommunications
- Trade Secrets
- Trademark Clearance & Prosecution
- Trademark & Related IP Litigation
- Structured IP Ownership
- Supply Chains, Research & Distribution Ventures
In the highly competitive world of intellectual property, our attorneys are regularly recognized for their legal acumen by Chambers, Managing IP, IAM, Legal 500, World Trademark Review and other national and global publications. Notably, U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers recognized Ropes & Gray as its 2019 “Law Firm of the Year” for Patent Law.
For more information about our IP litigation practice, please visit our Intellectual Property Litigation page.
For more information about our IP licensing and transactions practice, please visit our Intellectual Property Transactions page.
For more information about our trademark and copyright practice, please visit our Trademark page.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2022 – Intellectual property group recognized in California, Massachusetts and New York with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field.
- The Legal 500 United States 2021 – Intellectual property group nationally recognized in the United States in four categories: Patent Litigation, International Trade Commission (Section 337) Litigation, Trade Secrets and Licensing.
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2021 – Ropes & Gray nationally ranked in patent law, patent litigation, intellectual property litigation, biotechnology law, and corporate law.
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2019 – Ropes & Gray named “Law Firm of the Year” for patent law.
- Vault Law Firm Rankings 2022 – Ranked among the top 20 Best Law Firms for intellectual property.
- The Best Lawyers in America (2006-2021) – Multiple intellectual property partners from Boston, New York, San Francisco and Silicon Valley were recognized as leaders in their field.
- World Trademark Review’s WTR1000 2021 – Ropes & Gray ranked as a top firm for trademark law in Massachusetts and multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in their field in Washington, D.C. and Massachusetts.
- LMG Life Sciences Guide 2020 – Named “Licensing & Collaboration Firm of the Year” and honored with “Impact Deal of the Year.” Licensing and Collaboration and Hatch-Waxman Patent Litigation practices recognized, with multiple attorneys named “Life Science Stars” for IP.
- Who’s Who Legal 2021 – Five IP attorneys designated on this elite list for Intellectual Property – Patents.
- Boston Business Journal 2020 – Ranked one of the largest intellectual property law firms in Massachusetts.
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2021 – Intellectual property group recognized in the Asia-Pacific region, and in China, South Korea and the United States, with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field in these regions.
- Chambers Asia-Pacific: Asia’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2021 – Intellectual property group recognized in the Asia-Pacific region, and in China and South Korea, with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field.
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021 – Ranked in China and South Korea as a leading “Intellectual Property – Foreign Firms” practice.
- Asian Legal Business IP Rankings 2020 – Ropes & Gray as Tier 1 among international firms for patents in China, Japan, South Korea, and Hong Kong. Recognized as Tier 1 for copyrights/trademarks in China, and Tier 2 in Hong Kong and South Korea.
- IAM Patent 1000 2020 – Ropes & Gray ranked nationally in the United States, including in California, Washington, D.C., New York, and Massachusetts. Also ranked in China and internationally, with multiple partners recognized in South Korea.
- Managing IP and IP Stars 2021– Ropes & Gray highly ranked in the United States, China, and Japan. In the U.S., recognized in California, Massachusetts, New York, and Washington, D.C., and nationally with multiple partners recognized as “IP Stars.”