Winning is the core of the Ropes & Gray intellectual property group. For over 130 years, our IP group has succeeded in protecting and enforcing our clients’ interests in high-stakes litigation. Clients rely on our experienced IP litigators for the key, “bet-the-company” cases that have the ability to shape business, the marketplace and competition.
With offices across the United States, as well as in Japan and South Korea, our team is prepared to serve our clients’ interests in response to any IP challenge, anywhere in the world.
Clients rely on Ropes & Gray’s trial lawyers not only to evaluate and assert patents against infringing competitors, but also to defend against charges of infringement, no matter how or where they arise. Our teams pair a thorough understanding of complex, cutting-edge technologies with a mastery of the nuances of patent law.
- Our professionals possess over 150 degrees in disciplines such as electrical engineering, organic and synthetic chemistry, computer science, pharmacology, biochemistry, molecular and cellular biology, neurobiology, immunology, genetics, chemical engineering, biophysics, polymer science and aerospace engineering.
- Our deep bench of “first chair” trial lawyers and our unparalleled technical capabilities ensure that the Ropes & Gray team can communicate with the most advanced technical experts and convey that information in a clear and persuasive manner to judges and juries alike.
We draw on years of experience and training to harness these resources and manage all phases of complex litigation. Our attorneys represent companies at both the trial and appellate levels, in key patent litigation courts across the nation. We also litigate matters before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (PTO), the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) and tribunals around the world, where we work collaboratively with experienced local counsel.
Our patent litigation team of over 110 attorneys represents clients across a wide spectrum of industries, including electronics, pharmaceuticals, financial services, Internet/e-commerce, telecommunications, manufacturing and medical devices.
Ropes & Gray’s IP litigation group has a proven track record of success in high-stakes litigation. Some of our recent achievements include:
- A groundbreaking victory for SAP America in the first covered business method review trial initiated under the new post-grant challenge proceedings created by the America Invents Act.
- A favorable result on behalf of a multinational alcoholic beverages company in the first investigation of the ITC’s pilot program for possible early disposition of cases.
- A summary judgment win for Purdue Pharma, marking the end of 14 years of litigation relating to Purdue’s OxyContin® pain medication.
- A decisive win for Becton Dickinson and Nova Biomedical against Therasense and Abbott Laboratories in one of the most significant patent decisions to date on the issue of inequitable conduct.
- An appellate victory for PerkinElmer and NTD Laboratories in one of the Federal Circuit’s first attempts to apply the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in Mayo v. Prometheus.
- A key Federal Circuit ruling for RouteOne, marking the first Federal Circuit decision to invalidate under Bilski a patent claim which expressly recites the use of a computer to perform the claimed method.
- A favorable settlement on behalf of NEC in a suit involving patents that had previously secured a jury verdict of $105.75 million in damages.
- A victory for ProShares when the district court enforced a covenant not to sue in favor of our clients, removing 98.5 percent of the assets subject to the patent infringement claims
- 2014 U.S. News-Best Lawyers “Law Firm of the Year Award” – Based on client and peer feedback for being the leading patent litigation practice in the nation.
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” Report 2014 – Nationally recognized and highly ranked in copyright law, information technology law, trademark law, patent law, patent litigation and intellectual property litigation.
- Chambers USA 2013: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – IP group recognized nationally and in California, Massachusetts and New York, with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field.
- Chambers Asia 2014: Asia’s Leading Lawyers for Business – IP group recognized in China, Japan and South Korea, with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field.
- Chambers Global 2014: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business – IP group recognized in China, Japan and the U.S., with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field in these regions and South Korea.
- IAM Patent 1000 2013 – Ropes & Gray ranked nationally and in California, Illinois, New York, Washington, D.C., Massachusetts, Japan and China, with 21 partners recognized, including for ITC and post-grant proceedings.
- Benchmark Litigation 2014 – Nationally recognized for IP litigation, with five attorneys recognized as litigation stars in California, New York, Massachusetts and the United States.
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2014 – Ranked in China and Japan as a leading “Intellectual Property – Foreign Firms practice.
- Vault Law Firm Rankings 2014 – Ranked among the top ten law firms for IP
- The Best Lawyers in America 2007-2014 – Multiple IP partners recognized as leaders in their field.
- Managing IP’s “World IP” survey 2013 – Ropes & Gray identified as a leader in “Japan—Foreign Firms, Patent,” “China—Foreign Firms, Patent” and “U.S.—National Firms, Patent-Contentious, Patent-Prosecution, Copyright, Bio Life Sciences and Trademark-Contentious.”
- Asian Legal Business IP Rankings 2013 – Ropes & Gray listed as a leading law firm in China and Japan.
- Asia IP’s The Patent Survey 2013 – Recognized among foreign firms in China and Japan for a leading patent practice.
- Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Patent Practitioners 2013 – Ten attorneys listed as leaders in the United States.
- The International Who’s Who of Life Science Lawyers 2013 – Three IP attorneys named in the IP sector for the elite list
- Law360 MVP 2013 – One IP litigation partner named as an MVP for intellectual property.
- Daily Journal’s Top 75 IP Litigators 2013 – Two IP litigation partners named to the elite list in California.
- LMG Life Sciences Guide 2012 – Ropes & Gray’s IP practice recognized in the United States, with four IP partners recognized as leaders in their field.
- The International Who’s Who of Patent Lawyers 2012– Four Ropes & Gray partners named to the elite list.
- Managing IP’s North American Awards 2012 – Winner of Strength in Diversity award and named a finalist for the U.S. Life Science/Biotech Firm of the Year
- Super Lawyers 2012 – Multiple IP partners recognized as leaders in their field.
- The American Lawyer’s “Litigators of the Week” 2012 – Two IP litigation partners were recognized as leading litigators.
- Two partners from Ropes & Gray’s IP group are Fellows in the American College of Trial Lawyers.
- Two of the IP group’s trial attorneys have been inducted into the Litigation Counsel of America.