Protecting Vital Assets
We know that copyrights often are among a company’s most critical business assets. Today’s digital economy and the evolving laws governing copyrights and the Internet pose significant challenges and unique opportunities for copyright owners, as well as third parties.
Our copyright litigation practice has the collective depth of experience and broad resource base to help clients protect and enhance the value of copyrighted works and defend against claims of infringement. We are equipped and prepared to litigate and prosecute matters wherever our clients do business.
Powerful Partners In and Out of Court
We work proactively, taking steps to resolve possible disputes, but when litigation is necessary, we vigorously represent our clients in court – enforcing copyrights and defending against infringement claims. With many copyright matters requiring swift action – temporary restraining order or preliminary injunction requests – our litigators are experienced in obtaining the relief our clients need while defending against such requests from others. Our team members also are well positioned to handle protracted litigation matters, including all phases of appeal.
We have handled litigation involving a wide range of copyrighted works, including electronic databases, computer software, music and audio recordings, books, magazines, and other electronic and print publications. Particularly experienced in matters involving complex technology, we have litigated copyright cases involving computerized credit application technology, switching equipment software and electronic trading systems, among other sophisticated works. Our copyright clients operate in industries as diverse as private equity, communications, consumer products, motor vehicles, computers and videogaming.
On the Leading Edge
Several of our cases have made new law in the copyright field. Notably, in the case of NBA v. Motorola, the court refused to protect real-time scores and other statistics from basketball games, allowing our client, Motorola, to provide that information through its Sportstrax paging device. In Brandir v. Cascade Pacific, the court clarified the standard for obtaining copyright protection for utilitarian objects in allowing our client, Cascade Pacific, to continue to manufacture its bicycle racks.
A Full Spectrum of Robust Services
Working hand-in-hand with attorneys in our transactional counseling practice, we negotiate agreements, handle copyright registrations and counsel on a full range of related issues – including those relating to new media.
- U.S. News World Reports – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” Report 2021 – Nationally recognized and highly ranked in intellectual property litigation.
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2021 – Intellectual property group recognized in the Asia-Pacific region, and in China, South Korea and the United States, with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field in these regions.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2021 – Our intellectual property group is recognized in California, Massachusetts and New York, with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field.
- Chambers Asia-Pacific: Asia’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2021 – Our intellectual property group is recognized in the Asia-Pacific region, and in China and South Korea, with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field.
- Managing IP Stars 2020 – Recognized nationally in the United States, China and Japan, and in California, New York, Washington, D.C., Virginia and Massachusetts as a top law firm for intellectual property. Multiple IP attorneys recognized as litigation stars.
- The Best Lawyers in America (2006-2021) – Multiple intellectual property partners from Boston, New York, San Francisco and Silicon Valley were recognized as leaders in their field.
- Boston Business Journal 2020 – Ranked one of the largest intellectual property law firms in Massachusetts.