Across the globe, private equity clients know that whatever the nature and scope of their fund or deal, they will obtain unsurpassed service from Ropes & Gray’s team of more than 180 private equity lawyers. Our practice runs the gamut from the representation of private equity firms doing classic leveraged buyout deals to the representation of firms managing multi-asset classes.
The private equity industry is rapidly changing, and we are uniquely situated to keep up with the changes. We partner with clients on all types of funds, including:
- Special situations
- Real estate
- Growth and venture
Our leading practices in private equity transactions, fundraising, investment management, bankruptcy & business restructuring, tax, and finance ensure that we support the industry in all matters to further a firm’s business objectives.
Our expansive practice also includes tailored solutions for our private equity clients across a wide range of matters including FCPA, data privacy, D&O insurance, SEC exams and estate planning.
Experience & Awards
Ropes & Gray has been at the forefront of private equity deals practically since the invention of the leveraged buyout. Our commitment to both middle market and multibillion-dollar deals provides us with unique perspective in the private equity industry.
Noteworthy large cap transactions include representation of:
- TPG Capital and Wind River, a developer of security software for the Internet of Things (IoT), in connection with the proposed sale of Wind River to Aptiv PLC for US$4.3 billion.
- Partners Group in its acquisition of United States Infrastructure Corporation (USIC), a provider of utility location services, and subsequent sale of a 50% stake to a consortium led by Kohlberg & Company.
- Partners Group in its acquisition of Foundation Risk Partners, a specialist insurance broker.
- Partners Group in its significant minority investment in VelocityEHS, a provider of AI-powered ESG & EHS software and solutions for global enterprises.
- Genstar Capital and Advarra in the sale of a majority stake in Advarra to Blackstone and Canada Pension Plan Investment Board.
- Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe and Valtruis in connection with the innovative merger of Fresenius Health Partners, InterWell Health and Cricket Health, creating the nation’s premier value-based kidney care provider, operating under the InterWell Health brand.
- Vistria Group in its joint acquisition (with Nautic Partners and General Atlantic) of PANTHERx Rare, a pharmacy-care delivery model for patients living with rare and orphan diseases.
- TPG and Sixth Street in connection with Kaseya’s US$6.2 billion acquisition of Datto, a global provider of security and cloud-based software solutions.
Our clients get integrated global service and creative yet practical solutions to their legal and business challenges. Clients can draw on the rich and deep experience of our lawyers in offices around the world.
- Chambers USA (2023) – Top ranked nationwide for “Private Equity.” Multiple attorneys are also ranked individually nationwide and in Massachusetts, California, Illinois and New York for “Private Equity” and “Corporate/M&A”
- Law360 Private Equity Practice Group of the Year (2017/2018/2019/2020) – A coveted distinction that recognizes law firms whose work for clients has resonated throughout the legal industry in addition to accounting for the size, complexity and significance of deals advised on
- The Deal – Awarded “Private Equity Deal of the Year 2020” as counsel to Harvest Partners in its acquisition of Yellowstone Landscape
- U.S. News & World Report’s Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” (2019) – Named “Law Firm of the Year” for “Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law”
- Buyouts Insider – Awarded “Deal of the Year 2019” as counsel to New Mountain Capital in its sale of Equian
- The American Lawyer – Named “Dealmakers of the Year” (2019/2020)
- The Legal 500 U.S. (2020) – Ranked highly in the United States for “Private Equity Buyouts,” with two lawyers recognized in the Hall of Fame
- IFLR1000 (2018/2019/2020/2021) – Ranked as a leading law firm for “Private Equity” in the United States
- Vault (2021) – Top 10 “Best Law Firms” for “Private Equity”
- Chambers Asia-Pacific (2020) – Highly ranked in the Asia-Pacific region for “Private Equity”
- IFLR1000 (2021) – Ranked as a leading law firm for “Private Equity” in Hong Kong and China
- The Financial Times Asia-Pacific Innovative Law Firms – Consistently recognized as one of the most innovative global law firms in the Asia-Pacific region. Ropes & Gray received praise in the “Enabling Business Growth and Transformation” category for the firm’s work on noteworthy transactions
- Asian Legal Awards (2018) – Awarded “Private Equity Deal of the Year” for our work on Toshiba Corp.’s sale of its memory chip business in addition to being awarded “M&A Deal of the Year: North Asia” for our work on Nord Anglia Education’s $4.3B privatization
- Chambers UK (2020) – Ranked for “Private Equity: Buyouts: High-end Capability”
- IFLR1000 (2021) – Ranked as a leading law firm for “Private Equity” in the UK
- The Legal 500 UK (2020) – Ranked in the UK as a leading “Private Equity Transactions” practice
PE Industry Insights
- Calm in the Storm: Investing in Infrastructure
- In Search of Financing: Sponsors Willing to Seek Debt
- Private Equity Navigates Shifting Fundraising Dynamics
- Secondaries Sophistication Drives a Surge in Activity
- The PE Market Rebound and the Rise of Supply Chain Pressures
- PErspectives: Private Equity Industry Insights | Spring 2021
- The Effect of COVID-19 on Global Private Equity Markets
- Portfolio Company Director Role & Duties in the COVID-19 Era
- Employer Considerations under COVID Legislation and Sponsor Debt Purchases
- PErspectives: Private Equity Industry Insights