The global law firm Ropes & Gray announced today that James Lidbury, co-leader of the firm’s global M&A practice, has relocated to Hong Kong to bolster the firm’s service offering to private equity investors and corporations pursuing cross-border investments and M&A transactions involving Asia.
The move comes as global investors increasingly view the Asia-Pacific region as a prime market for investment and expansion.
Mr. Lidbury has led Ropes & Gray’s Chicago office since its launch more than five years ago. He has deep experience in M&A and private equity, advising clients on strategic mergers, leveraged buyouts, and take- privates. Early in his career he served as a lawyer for the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in Washington, D.C.
Over the past year, he has focused particularly on advising clients on Asia deals, including representing the Blackstone-led buyer group consortium in the $625 million going-private transaction of NASDAQ-listed, Beijing-based Pactera Technology International Ltd., signed in October.
“Global investors are dedicating more resources to investment opportunities in the Asia-Pacific Region. We have been encouraged by clients to do the same and I hope to complement our deeply experienced and talented Asia-based team with the U.S. legal and business perspective that I can bring to the table,” said Mr. Lidbury. “The remarkable success of Ropes & Gray’s four Asian offices has encouraged us to further deepen our commitment to the region and I am thrilled to be here to help build on that success.
Ropes & Gray, after opening offices in Hong Kong five years ago, Shanghai two years ago and with offices in Tokyo and Seoul, has established itself as a leader in corporate law in Asia:
- AsianInvestor named Ropes & Gray the “Best Law Firm for Alternatives” in October 2013, recognizing the firm for its innovative work for alternative investment funds.
- Earlier this year, the firm was named “Private Equity Team of the Year” for Asia by International Financial Law Review.
- The recently published 2014 edition of IFLR1000 recognized Ropes & Gray as a leading firm for M&A and private equity, M&A in China, and for private equity, M&A, investment funds, bank lending and capital markets in Hong Kong.
- In September, China Law & Practice honored Ropes & Gray with its 2013 “Private Equity Deal of the Year Award” for the firm’s representation in Focus Media’s $3.7 billion privatization.
- In the inaugural private equity rankings in Asian Legal Business, the firm was recognized in China, Hong Kong and Japan.
- The 2013 edition of Chambers Asia cited practices and lawyers across the region. Ten Ropes & Gray partners based in Asia earned rankings in multiple practices, including corporate M&A, capital markets, private equity, fund formation, life sciences and intellectual property.
Stay Up To Date with Ropes & Gray
Ropes & Gray attorneys provide timely analysis on legal developments, court decisions and changes in legislation and regulations.
Stay in the loop with all things Ropes & Gray, and find our more about our people, culture, initiatives and everything that’s happening.
We regularly notify our clients and contacts of significant legal developments, news, webinars and teleconferences that affect their industries.