Weekly highlights of what’s happening at Ropes & Gray:
- Buzz around the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in Kokesh v. SEC captured attention in legal and financial circles; the ruling applies a five-year statute of limitations to SEC disgorgement claims. Speaking to The Wall Street Journal, business & securities litigation partner Daniel O’Connor discussed how the decision will “shape the scope and limit the reach” of the commission’s investigations. Our attorneys also examined the decision in a client alert.
- It was a busy week for dealmakers. Ropes & Gray advised Eversource Energy, New England's largest energy company, in its agreement to acquire Aquarion Water Company for $1.675 billion. We also represented Kohlberg & Company, L.L.C. in its acquisition of CIBT Global, Inc., a leading global provider of travel visa and immigration services.
- In a new video, government enforcement partner Ryan Rohlfsen examines the Department of Justice’s FCPA Pilot Program and its success in encouraging companies to self-disclose corruption issues and cooperate with the DOJ during investigations.
- Our latest Investment Management Update summarizes recent legal developments and trends affecting the mutual fund and investment management industries, including two recent distribution-in-guise settlements; a class action suit alleging violations of the Securities Act by a mutual fund; a renewed focus on cybersecurity following a global ransomware attack; and other developments of note.
- Two novel transactions and our handling of an anti-human trafficking matter were highlighted by the Financial Times, which named Ropes & Gray among the top 10 firms in the “Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers 2017.” Ropes & Gray had previously been honored among North America’s leading innovative law firms in the Financial Times’ 2016 report.
Stay Up To Date with Ropes & Gray
Ropes & Gray attorneys provide timely analysis on legal developments, court decisions and changes in legislation and regulations.
Stay in the loop with all things Ropes & Gray, and find our more about our people, culture, initiatives and everything that’s happening.
We regularly notify our clients and contacts of significant legal developments, news, webinars and teleconferences that affect their industries.