The Week at Ropes & Gray: A Strong Start to September; Pro Bono Team Preserves DACA in Texas; Firm Welcomes Three New Attorneys; Law360 Names Ropes & Gray a “Powerhouse” firm
Weekly highlights of what’s happening at Ropes & Gray:
- The month of September kicked off with a number of newsworthy transactions:
- U.K.-based private equity firm Epiris has acquired global auction house Bonhams, known for its sales of fine art and antiques, motor cars, and jewelry, from private shareholders. Ropes & Gray advised Epiris on the acquisition.
- Oberland Capital has successfully closed its second fund with $800 million in capital commitments. Ropes & Gray advised Oberland Capital.
- Webster Capital announced the final close of its latest fund, which greatly exceeded its initial target of $650 million. Ropes & Gray served as legal counsel to Webster Capital.
- The Hillman Group, Inc., a North American provider of hardware solutions, announced its acquisition of Big Time Products, a manufacturer of protective work gear. Ropes & Gray represents The Hillman Group, Inc., in the transaction.
- In a significant victory for our clients and other “Dreamers” late last week, a federal judge in Texas denied a motion filed by Texas and nine other states that would enjoin the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) policy. Ropes & Gray and its co-counsel, the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, represent 22 DACA beneficiaries who intervened in the case to defend DACA.
- To help clients identify and mitigate corruption-related risks, Ropes & Gray has added María González Calvet as a partner in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. Ms. Calvet, a former prosecutor and in-house counsel at General Electric, is a leading authority in the application of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and other anti-bribery statutes in Latin America.
- The firm also welcomed an arrival in New York: Christopher Capuzzi has joined as counsel.
- Ropes & Gray has been named a Powerhouse firm by Law360. In a feature article, Law360 highlighted Ropes & Gray’s strengths, pointing to high-level counsel to innovative companies and institutions that have a U.S. and international presence.
- Follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter for legal insights and the latest firm news.