Ropes & Gray’s Government Enforcement Practice Recognized as “White Collar Group of the Year”
Law360, the online outlet for legal news and analysis, has named Ropes & Gray’s government enforcement practice a “White Collar Group of the Year” for 2012, based on the firm’s significant work over the past year. This is the second year in a row the firm’s government enforcement practice has been cited.
The practice group “brought a swift end to the highly anticipated trial of Stryker Biotech LLC over alleged off-label marketing and helped other top medical device makers end lengthy criminal probes without charges,” Law360 wrote. The article continued, “With more plum assignments on the radar, the firm seems poised to continue its string of success, helping clients stand up to prosecutors in investigations and lawsuits.”
Among the cases Law360 cited were Ropes & Gray’s representation of:
- Stryker Biotech LLC, in the highly-anticipated trial involving criminal indictment and off-label marketing charges
- Medtronic, involving the investigation of biliary stents and the alleged off-label promotion of medical devices
- Orthofix International N.V., in connection with two qui tams suits under the FCA
- Kurt Mix, in the high-profile case involving the April 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill
- Carter’s Inc., in separate investigations over alleged accounting fraud and insider trading
Law360 cited the Stryker trial, in which Ropes & Gray was able to secure a positive resolution for its client soon after opening statements, as “just one of several watershed moments for Ropes & Gray’s white collar practice group in 2012.” Commenting on the case, Brien O’Connor, co-chair of the firm’s government enforcement practice said, “Sometimes it takes parties getting involved in making opening statements, sharing evidence and really focusing in for each side to see eye to eye.”
To read Law360’s article on the practice, please click here.
Ropes & Gray was also named “Practice of the Year” by Law360 for privacy and consumer protection, as well as for private equity.