Multiple Accolades for Ropes & Gray in Asia
Ropes & Gray has received several new awards in recent weeks. The awards recognize victories for our clients, the firm’s depth of experience and knowledge handling complex matters, and the superior service our attorneys provide across our global offices.
- In January, Law360 named Ropes & Gray’s private equity group a “Practice Group of the Year.” This honor recognizes the firmwide practice but in particular highlights work in Japan on the sale of Toshiba Corp’s semiconductor business to a group led by Bain Capital. More than 100 Ropes & Gray attorneys from across the firm collaborated on the deal. At two trillion yen ($18 billion), it was the largest acquisition in Japan since 2011 and both the largest private equity and leveraged finance deal ever seen in Asia. Law360 highlighted the firm’s “ability to create an intricate international agreement on an epic scale.”
- China Business Law Journal also recognized the firm’s work in Asia. Ropes & Gray won China Business Law Awards from the Journal in the categories of anti-bribery and compliance, health care & life sciences, and intellectual property. The firm was also awarded the Journal’s “Deal of the Year” for its role as counsel to China Oceanwide in its acquisition of U.S.-based International Data Group.
- The International Financial Law Review announced that Ropes & Gray is a finalist for “Restructuring Deal” and “Restructuring Group of the Year” for its role in the Mongolian Mining restructuring. The winners will be announced on March 1.
- The firm also received high marks in The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2018. Areas of expertise that were ranked included antitrust, banking & finance, capital markets, healthcare & life sciences, M&A, private equity, regulatory, investment funds, disputes, regulatory, real estate, restructuring and IP.
- PERE, a leading publication for private equity and real estate, has named the firm a finalist for “Asia Law Firm of the Year in Fund Formation,” in recognition of its work for CBRE Global. The award winner will be named in March.