Ropes & Gray Ranked Among New York’s 25 Largest Law Firms
With more than 350 lawyers in the firm’s New York office, and more than 1,300 lawyers worldwide, Ropes & Gray ranks among the very largest firms in New York according to Crain’s New York Business report released this month.
Since opening an office in New York City three decades ago, the firm has increased its foot print with a focus on serving clients in core industry sectors, including asset management, banking, health care, TMT and life sciences. Leading New York companies, investment funds and financial institutions turn to Ropes & Gray for sophisticated counsel for their transactions, investments, litigation, regulatory enforcement matters and intellectual property issues. The firm’s New York-based lawyers are recognized leaders across multiple practices including M&A, finance, capital markets, business restructuring, real estate, litigation and enforcement. The private equity group was recently cited by The American Lawyer as one of the four powerhouse PE firms in the country.
Some of New York’s top legal talent has joined the firm’s powerhouse team recently, including new partners who have joined recently:
The lawyers in New York, working hand-in-hand with colleagues in London, Hong Kong and the firm’s other offices in Asia and throughout the United States, have built an impressive track record of successful results for clients, including:
- Represented New Mountain Capital in its investment in Beeline and, separately, in MAG Aerospace.
- Acted as fund counsel to Index Ventures on a $1.65 billion fundraise across two funds: Index Ventures IX and Index Ventures Growth IV.
- Represented Aretex Capital Partners in its acquisition of Alerian.
- Advised Strategic Value Partners, LLC and its affiliates SVPGlobal, on the formation of Strategic Value Special Situations Fund IV (SVSS IV).
- Acted as fund counsel in connection with Orion Resource Partners’ Orion Mine Finance Fund II.
- Represented Avista Capital Partners in its acquisition of Kramer Laboratories, Inc.
- Secured complete dismissal for biopharmaceutical company Stemline Therapeutics, Inc. of a securities class action in the Southern District of New York.
- Secured a complete dismissal for Chromocell Corp. and two of its founders in the Supreme Court of New York. The suit was brought by Chromocell’s third co-founder, the Nobel-prize winner Gunter Blobel, who claimed he was contractually entitled to one-third of the company.
In April, Ropes & Gray announced that David Djaha, a New York-based partner, had been named managing partner-elect of the firm. He will become managing partner of the firm effective January 1, 2020.