Five Practices Named “Practice Group of the Year” by Law360
The only law firm to be honored for both private equity and health care
Law360 honored Ropes & Gray with “Practice Group of the Year” awards for private equity, fund formation, securitizations, health care and white collar. The awards were announced on Jan. 13.
The contest honors firms that “worked on the biggest deals or achieved the biggest wins in the most important cases.”
Our attorneys leveraged their deep experience in key industries – private equity, health care, life sciences, asset management and technology – to advise prominent clients on complex and sensitive issues around the globe. Highlights include:
- Private Equity: in 2019, the firm’s 180 private equity attorneys advised on more than 200 private equity transactions, totaling over $112 billion. The firm advised 9 of the top 10 largest global funds, and led deals for more than 80 mid-market firms routinely doing $100 million to $1 billion transactions.
- Fund Formation: our global asset management practice, comprised of more than 250 lawyers, advised clients across the spectrum of fund types—registered, private equity, hedge funds, and hybrid funds—pushing traditional frontiers. Our work yielded ground-breaking, first-of-their-kind results with potential industrywide impacts: our teams advised Invesco on its non-transparent ETF model, closed numerous private equity funds, and advised on innovative digital currency issues.
- Securitizations: our attorneys have guided some of the world’s leading brands in complex whole-business securitizations. It includes Dunkin’ Brands, Servpro, Domino’s Pizza and Planet Fitness among many others. The firm also advises numerous investment firms, including some of the most prominent private equity firms, in their securitization matters.
- Health Care: in 2019, the firm’s health care practice guided clients in a wide range of challenging health care matters, making it the only firm to be featured in Law360’s “Practice Group of the Year” in the health care and private equity categories. A noteworthy highlight: our attorneys guided Harvard Pilgrim Health Care in its merger with Tufts Health Plan, two of the largest health insurers in New England. The merger will form a unified health care system reaching 2.4 million people.
- White Collar: our litigation & enforcement practice handled public and high-profile matters over the past year: an independent investigation for the U.S. Olympic Committee into Larry Nassar’s abuse of elite athletes; our attorneys represented three separate defendants in the “Varsity Blues” college admissions case; and litigation & enforcement partner Alexandre Rene continued his work on the monitorship for aircraft manufacturer Embraer.