Ropes & Gray Ranks Highly in The Legal 500 UK 2023
“Ropes and Gray just get it. They always go the extra mile, have deep and calm insights into the challenges in front of their clients. Excellent commercial and legal skills that drive complex multi stakeholder negotiations.” – Private equity transactions client
Ropes & Gray has been recognised as one of the UK’s leading law firms in the 2023 edition of The Legal 500 UK directory, with the firm has been highly ranked across 16 practice areas.
Ropes & Gray is one of London’s leading international law firms for private capital clients. The firm acts for sophisticated private capital investors and providers – as well as some of the world’s largest companies on their most challenging issues – giving them all the legal services they need: from fundraising to transactional deal-making and financing, and from antitrust to compliance, data protection, restructuring, real estate, financial regulation and tax. The firm’s offering has been recognised by The Legal 500, receiving commendations from a range of clients across a range of practices, including the following:
- Acquisition finance: “Brilliant minds, responsive and professional, experienced and solutions-driven.” “If you are an underwriting bank, you want Ropes & Gray on your side due to its willingness to have a sensible conversation on what is important and what does not matter in a deal.”
- Investment fund formation and management: “The Ropes & Gray fund formation team has grown quite a bit over the last year and their name comes up very often as lead counsel to high-profile names – particularly US sponsors – raising funds in Europe.”
- Commercial property: Investment: “The property team at Ropes & Gray has a unique, proactive and entrepreneurial ability in complex, cross-border joint ventures. They take a very holistical and commercial approach to transactions and were able to join up multiple disciplines into the negotiation.”
- Corporate Tax: “Excellent in working on international private equity transactions, were timing can be extremely tight, experience counts for a lot and working together in various jurisdictions is of great importance.” “The team are incredibly well organised, with clear working groups supporting each project while being able to leverage expertise across the wider team as needed.”
- Private Equity: Transactions – High-Value Deals (£250M+): “The team’s key strength is their experience negotiating and executing the legal elements of LBO transactions. They have worked on highly complex transactions on accelerated timelines with limited margin to learn on the job and have delivered.” “Ropes and Gray just get it. They always go the extra mile, have deep and calm insights into the challenges in front of their clients. Excellent commercial and legal skills that drive complex multi stakeholder negotiations.” “The Ropes team has delivered exceptional service and value across the many transactions we have worked together on. The team is very proactive, willing to help and has strong technical capabilities in the healthcare space which makes a difference in the diligence process. The team is highly diverse, which usually results in a very balanced view on key topics.”
- Bank lending: Investment grade debt and syndicated loans: “[They] are highly intelligent and thoroughly understand their products/markets and are able to advise on complex, cross-border financing structures.”
- Derivatives and structured products: “Their strength is in their commitment to providing timely, practical, business-friendly advice that reflects a knowledge of current market practice and the bigger picture as far as overarching risk.”
- Life sciences & healthcare: “Team is highly responsive, and goes the extra mile to service clients.”
- Data protection, privacy & cybersecurity: “Strong team delivering pragmatic, sensible and implementable advice.” “The team includes excellent practitioners and is diverse in terms of age, gender, etc. They are all very much focused on data protection, privacy, cybersecurity and have great knowledge of the market and of the law.”
- Property finance: “The team really understand that work starts with a deal and so where possible, not only do their provide good commercial advice through a deal, but they also help generate the deals, which is a rare find amongst the community of real estate finance lawyers.”
- Financial services: Non-contentious/regulatory: “The team deals with complex and sometimes novel financial services matters for significant clients. I have found them to be knowledgeable, and flexible and commercial in their approach. They look for realistic and workable solutions.”
To view Ropes & Gray’s complete results please click here.