For over 150 years, our global intellectual property group has provided clients across the world with a broad spectrum of IP services, handling cutting-edge cases, transactions and other strategic matters from six offices in key cities across the United States – Boston, Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, and Washington, D.C. and four international offices in London, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Seoul. On the ground across three different continents, our intellectual property professionals provide clients with around-the-clock, top-tier IP support on an international stage.
Our IP attorneys are highly educated and experienced across a wide range of industries, including: technology, media and telecommunications; life sciences; retail and consumer products; private equity; financial services; health care; and education. Whether the goal is protecting IP assets, forming a venture, securing capital, developing technology, issuing securities, licensing IP rights or making acquisitions, our IP team stands ready to offer cohesive and comprehensive guidance.
Intellectual Property Offerings
- Biotechnology & Pharmaceuticals
- Brand, Ownership & Licensing
- Co-Branding & Distribution Allowances
- Defensive & Offensive Patent Pooling
- False Advertising
- Innovation Development & Acquistions
- International IP Transactions
- IP-Backed Finance
- ITC/Section 337 Proceedings
- Joint Ventures & Alliances
- Medical Devices
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Strategy
- Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology & Medical Devices
- Post-Grant Proceedings
- Privacy & Cybersecurity
- Technology, Media & Telecommunications
- Trade Secrets
- Trademark Clearance & Prosecution
- Trademark & Related IP Litigation
- Structured IP Ownership
- Supply Chains, Research & Distribution Ventures
In the highly competitive world of intellectual property, our attorneys are regularly recognized for their legal acumen by Chambers, Managing IP, IAM, Legal 500, World Trademark Review and other national and global publications. Notably, U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers recognized Ropes & Gray as its 2019 “Law Firm of the Year” for Patent Law.
For more information about our IP litigation practice, please visit our Intellectual Property Litigation page.
For more information about our IP licensing and transactions practice, please visit our Intellectual Property Transactions page.
For more information about our strategic counseling practice, please visit our Patent Strategy page.
For more information about our trademark and copyright practice, please visit our Trademark page.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2019 – Intellectual property group recognized in California, Massachusetts and New York with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field.
- The Legal 500 United States 2019 – Highly ranked in the categories for patent litigation, licensing and trade secrets.
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2019 – Ropes & Gray nationally ranked in information technology law, trademark law, patent litigation, and intellectual property litigation, trademark law, and biotechnology law.
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2019 – Ropes & Gray named “Law Firm of the Year” for patent law.
- Vault Law Firm Rankings 2019 – Ranked among the top 15 Best Law Firms for intellectual property.
- The Best Lawyers in America (2006-2019) – Multiple intellectual property partners from Boston, New York, San Francisco and Silicon Valley were recognized as leaders in their field.
- World Trademark Review’s WTR1000 2019 – Ropes & Gray ranked as a top firm for trademark law and multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in their field in Washington, DC and Massachusetts.
- LMG Life Sciences Guide 2018 – Named “Licensing & Collaboration Firm of the Year” and IP and Licensing practice recognized, with multiple attorneys named “Life Science Stars” for IP.
- Who’s Who Legal 2019 – Five IP attorneys designated on this elite list for patent law.
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2019 – Intellectual property group recognized in the Asia-Pacific region, and in China, South Korea and the United States, with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field in these regions.
- Chambers Asia: Asia’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2019 – Intellectual property group recognized Asia-wide and in China and South Korea, with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field.
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 – Ranked in China and South Korea as a leading “Intellectual Property – Foreign Firms” practice.
- Asian Legal Business IP Rankings 2019 – Ropes & Gray listed as a leading law firm for patents and copyright/trademark in China and South Korea, and as a leading firm for patents in Japan.
- IAM Patent 1000 2019 – Ropes & Gray ranked nationally in the United States and in California, Illinois, New York, Massachusetts, South Korea, China and internationally with multiple partners recognized.
- Managing IP and IP Stars 2019 – Ropes & Gray highly ranked in California, China, Massachusetts, New York and nationally in the U.S. in 8 categories with 8 partners recognized as “IP Stars.”