For over 150 years, our global intellectual property group has provided clients across the world with a broad spectrum of IP services, handling cutting-edge cases, transactions and other strategic matters from six offices in key cities across the United States – Boston, Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, and Washington, D.C. and four international offices in London, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Seoul. On the ground across three different continents, our intellectual property professionals provide clients with around-the-clock, top-tier IP support on an international stage.
Our IP attorneys are highly educated and experienced across a wide range of industries, including: technology, media and telecommunications; life sciences; retail and consumer products; private equity; financial services; health care; and education. Whether the goal is protecting IP assets, forming a venture, securing capital, developing technology, issuing securities, licensing IP rights or making acquisitions, our IP team stands ready to offer cohesive and comprehensive guidance.
Intellectual Property Offerings
- Biotechnology & Pharmaceuticals
- Brand, Ownership & Licensing
- Co-Branding & Distribution Allowances
- Defensive & Offensive Patent Pooling
- False Advertising
- Innovation Development & Acquistions
- International IP Transactions
- IP-Backed Finance
- ITC/Section 337 Proceedings
- Joint Ventures & Alliances
- Medical Devices
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Strategy
- Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology & Medical Devices
- Post-Grant Proceedings
- Privacy & Cybersecurity
- Technology, Media & Telecommunications
- Trade Secrets
- Trademark & Copyright Litigation
- Structured IP Ownership
- Supply Chains, Research & Distribution Ventures
In the highly competitive world of intellectual property, our attorneys are regularly recognized for their legal acumen by Chambers, Managing IP, IAM, Legal 500, World Trademark Review and other national and global publications. Notably, U.S. News & World Best – Best Lawyers recognized Ropes & Gray as its 2017 “Law Firm of the Year” for Patent Law.
For more information about our IP litigation practice, please visit our Intellectual Property Litigation page.
For more information about our IP licensing and transactions practice, please visit our Intellectual Property Transactions page.
For more information about our strategic counseling practice, please visit our Patent Strategy page.
For more information about our trademark and copyright practice, please visit our Trademark page.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2017 – Intellectual property group recognized nationally in the United States and in California, Illinois, Massachusetts and New York with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field.
- The Legal 500 United States 2017 – Highly ranked in the categories for patent litigation, licensing, and re-examination and post-grant proceedings.
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2017 – Ropes & Gray nationally ranked in information technology law, trademark law, patent law, patent litigation, and intellectual property litigation.
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2017 – Ropes & Gray named “Law Firm of the Year” for patent law.
- Vault Law Firm Rankings 2017 – Ranked among the top 15 Best Law Firms for intellectual property.
- The Best Lawyers in America (2006-2017) – Multiple intellectual property partners from Boston, Chicago, New York, San Francisco and Silicon Valley were recognized as leaders in their field.
- World Trademark Review’s WTR1000 2017 – Ropes & Gray ranked as a top firm for trademark law and multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in their field in Washington, DC and Massachusetts.
- LMG Life Sciences 2017
- Who’s Who Legal 2016 – eight IP attorneys designated on this elite list for patent law.
- LMG Life Sciences Guide 2016 – IP practice recognized, with multiple attorneys named “Life Science Stars” for IP.
- Recipient of the 2014 U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers “Law Firm of the Year” Award – Recognized as the leading patent litigation practice in the United States, based on client and peer feedback.
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2017 – Intellectual property group recognized globally, in the Asia-Pacific region, and in China, Japan, South Korea and the United States, with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field in these regions.
- Chambers Asia: Asia’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2017 – Intellectual property group recognized Asia-wide and in China, Japan and South Korea, with multiple attorneys ranked as leaders in the field.
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017 – Ranked in China as a leading “Intellectual Property – Foreign Firms” practice.
- Asian Legal Business IP Rankings 2017 – Ropes & Gray listed as a leading law firm for patents in China, Japan and Korea.
- IAM Patent 1000 2016 – Ropes & Gray ranked nationally in the United States and in California, Illinois, New York, Washington, D.C., Massachusetts, United Kingdom, Japan and China, with multiple partners recognized, including for ITC and post-grant proceedings.
- Managing IP and IP Stars 2016 – Ropes & Gray highly ranked in California, China, Japan, Massachusetts, New York and nationally in the U.S. in 11 categories with 10 partners recognized as “IP Stars.”