Ropes & Gray’s technology, media & telecommunications group consists of a multi-disciplinary team of attorneys with years of experience handling matters in the areas of technology transactions, M&A, data privacy and cybersecurity, intellectual property, finance, fintech, capital markets, antitrust, regulatory and tax.
Our lawyers combine extensive legal knowledge with a comprehensive understanding of the TMT market and the regulatory and political factors that can influence business decisions. We have deep expertise with both disruptive technologies and the more traditional technologies that support today’s digital economy.
Ropes & Gray technology clients include both companies that develop, manufacture, service or sell technology goods and services, as well as investors and lenders who buy, sell and finance these organizations.
We regularly advise TMT clients across the full gamut of TMT subsectors including automotive and aeronautical, consumer technology, energy technology, fintech, AI, big data, gaming, hardware, semiconductors, software, internet and e-commerce, digital health, media and telecommunications.
Ropes & Gray’s award-winning TMT practice is regularly ranked among the world’s leading practices by high-profile publications such as U.S. News & World Report, Legal 500 and Chambers USA.
- Chambers USA 2023 – Nationally ranked as a leading firm across fields affecting technology clients. Recognized regionally in technology-focused fields in California, New York and Massachusetts. Multiple lawyers recognized as leading attorneys.
- Chambers Global 2021 – Ranked across technology-focused fields including “Privacy & Data Security,” “Intellectual Property: International Firms” and “Corporate/M&A.”
- The Legal 500 US 2021 – Ranked nationally across technology-focused practices including “Media, technology and telecoms: Cyber Law (including data privacy and data protection),” “Media, technology and telecoms: Technology: Transactions,” “Media, technology and telecoms: Fintech” and “E-discovery.” Recognized for “Mergers, acquisitions and buyouts: M&A: large deals ($1bn+).”
- Mergermarket – Ranked #1 in 2020 Pan European TMT League Tables by value. Represented clients on 14 deals with a total value of €62.2 billion, making an impressive jump from 54th place in 2019.
- Global Data Review – Ranked as a top 20 elite firm for data law in the inaugural publication.
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2019 – Named “Firm of the Year” for patent law. Ranked in the top tier nationally for information technology law and patent law, and recognized regionally in New York, California and Massachusetts for various technology-focused practices.
- Financial Times Innovative Lawyers North America – In 2019, ranked number two among the industry’s best law firms. Ropes & Gray’s IP litigation practice was also cited for developing a software license that is transferable using a blockchain. Commended in the “Driving Value” category for advising Quantopian, a crowdsourced hedge fund.
- Legaltech News and Law.com – Regina Sam Penti (IP transactions and technology) honored during the 2021 Legalweek Leaders in Tech Awards for “Championing Diversity in Tech, Law Firm.”
- China Law & Practice – Awarded 2019 “TMT Deal of the Year” for work advising Alibaba Group in its strategic partnership with Richemont to bring the retail offerings of YOOX Net-A-Porter Group to Chinese consumers.