Ropes & Gray has one of the largest and most sophisticated private investment funds practices, advising both fund sponsors and investors. The size, scope and integration of the sponsor and investor practices – we form and review many hundreds of funds each year – give us unequalled insight into market terms and developments around the world. Our clients benefit from this unsurpassed depth of experience as we provide seasoned advice, practical and innovative solutions, and first-class service.
The private investment funds group consists of more than 100 lawyers that provide global coverage. We have fund attorneys resident in the United States, Europe and Asia to provide real time advice and local knowledge to sponsors and investors in each of those regions.
We are counsel to many of the largest and most well-known fund sponsors and fund investors in the industry. Our sponsor practice also includes representation of a great many middle market and emerging managers. Our practice and our attorneys have been recognized both nationally and internationally by Chambers, Best Lawyers, Legal 500 and others as leaders in the private investment funds industry.
For more details about our capabilities please visit:
Our clients get integrated global service and creative and practical solutions to their legal and business challenges. Clients can draw on the rich and deep experience of our lawyers in offices around the world. We have been ranked by Chambers Global for more than a decade as one of the world’s leading fund formation practices. Our accolades include:
- Chambers Global 2020 – Ranked globally as a leading law firm for “Investment Funds: Private Equity: Fund Formation.”
- The American Lawyer “A-List” 2017-2020 – For four straight years, ranked in the top three on AmLaw’s list of the “best of the best” most prestigious firms.
- Financial Times North America Innovative Lawyers 2019 – Recognized as one of the top two firms in North America for legal expertise.
- Chambers Global 2020 – Ranked in the United States for “Investment Funds: Hedge Funds” and “Investment Funds: Private Equity: Fund Formation.”
- Chambers USA 2020 – Ranked nationwide for "Investment Funds: Hedge Funds;" "Investment Funds: Private Equity: Fund Formation;" "Investment Funds: Registered Funds;" "Investment Funds: Regulatory & Compliance.” Ranked for our asset management work in multiple U.S. states, including New York and Massachusetts. Multiple individual attorneys ranked nationwide. In 2017, the firm was awarded the Client Service Award for “Investment Funds.”
- U.S. News & World Report-Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2020 – Recognized as “Law Firm of the Year” for “Private Funds/ Hedge Funds Law.” In 2018, the firm was named “Law Firm of the Year” for “Mutual Funds” and in 2017, was named “Law Firm of the Year” for “Private Funds/Hedge Funds.”
- The Legal 500 US 2020 – Ranked as a leading firm for “Investment Fund Formation and Management: Alternative/Hedge Funds,” “Investment Fund Formation and Management: Mutual/Registered/Exchange Traded Funds,” and “Investment Fund Formation and Management: Private Equity Funds.”
- Law360 Practice Groups of the Year 2019 – Recognized as a practice group of the year for fund formation.
- Law360 Practice Groups of the Year 2017 – Recognized as a practice group of the year for asset management.
- IFLR10002020 – Firm received top rankings for “Private Equity Funds.” Additionally, the firm was ranked as a leader for “Hedge Funds.”
- Latinvex Top Law Firms 2019, 2020 – Firm ranked among the top international law firms in Latin America.
- Latinvex Latin America’s Top 100 Lawyers 2020 – Partner in the private funds practice named one of the top 100 international lawyers in Latin America for 2020.
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020 – Ranked as a leading firm for “Investment Funds: Private Equity,” and regionally in China/Hong Kong for “Investment Funds: Private Equity.”
- Chambers Global 2020 – Ranked in the Asia-Pacific region and also regionally in China for “Investment Funds: Private Equity.”
- IFLR1000 2020 – Ranked as a leader for “Private Equity Funds” in Hong Kong.
- Chambers UK 2020 – Ranked as a leading law firm in the United Kingdom for “Investment Funds: Private Equity.”