At Ropes & Gray, we have a deep understanding of the opportunities and challenges facing technology, media and telecommunications (TMT) companies. We also have a long history of successfully representing clients in these sectors.
Our TMT practice is made up of regulatory, transactional, litigation and IP attorneys, many of whom hold advanced degrees in engineering and other related fields. Together, our TMT attorneys deliver creative, practical legal advice to clients across a wide range of industries, including:
- Companies that invent, develop, manufacture, service or sell technology goods and services
- Companies that consume TMT-based goods and services
- The investors and lenders who buy, sell and finance these organizations
We work with our technology, media and telecommunications clients throughout all phases of the business life cycle, including initial research and development, business capitalization, industrial expansion, rights prosecution and litigation, antitrust and marketing compliance, private and public offerings, financings, and mergers and acquisitions.
Our attorneys also serve clients who are not focused exclusively on technology, to help them achieve technology-related goals. We counsel on how to manage and protect intellectual property, evaluate third-party rights, outsource, form technology alliances and collaborations, acquire administrative and manufacturing infrastructure, and license technology.
In addition, we work closely with private equity investors focused on technology industries in mergers and acquisitions, minority investments and other matters.
We work with our technology, media and telecommunications clients throughout all phases of the business life cycle, including initial research and development, business capitalization, industrial expansion, rights prosecution and litigation, antitrust and marketing compliance, private and public offerings, financings, and mergers and acquisitions. Our work for clients includes:
Formation & Development
- Forming companies, including establishing founders’ arrangements, initial capital structure and advisory boards
- Developing an IP portfolio, including pursuing complementary patents and trademarks
Strategic Relationships & Monetization
- Acquiring, merging and investing in technology businesses and business units
- Entering into commercial arrangements, joint development agreements and other strategic relationships
- Completing initial public offerings and follow-on offerings
- Representing private equity investors focused on technology industries in mergers & acquisitions, minority investments and other matters
- Managing tax and finance for high technology ventures, including structured financings
Litigation & Compliance
- Representing and defending technology companies in litigation (including IP litigation), administrative proceedings and government investigations
- Representing technology manufacturers in environmental compliance matters
- Representing technology-based systems and quantitative trading organizations in technology management and regulatory compliance
- Representing technology organizations in antitrust investigation, litigation and compliance, and in managing participation in standards bodies
- Representing technology companies in labor, employment and executive compensation matters
- Defending clients against claims by so-called patent trolls that aggressively enforce patents through litigation even when they may not be using the patented technology
Our representative clients include:
- Advent Software
- Aerotel U.S.A.
- Alfa Telecom Limited
- Ampex Corporation
- Applied Materials
- Becton, Dickinson and Company
- Certicom Corp.
- Charles Stark Draper Laboratory
- China Medical Technologies
- Daewoo International Corporation
- EMC Corporation
- Emulex Corporation
- Eze Castle Software and RealTick
- Fisher-Rosemount Systems
- GT Solar International
- Genzyme Corporation
- Given Imaging
- Heartland Payment Systems
- Highmark Renewables
- Hitachi-LG Data Storage
- Hypertronics Corporation
- iRobot Corporation
- Landec Corporation
- LG Electronics
- Liberty Global PLC
- Linear Technology Corporation
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Micro Motion
- NCsoft Corporation
- Pannaway Technologies
- Retail Decisions PLC
- Rovi Corporation
- Quanta Computer
- Quest Diagnostics
- Raytheon Company
- Ricoh Company
- Salient Surgical Corporation
- Sanyo Electric Co.
- SAP America, Inc. and SAP AG
- Security First Corporation
- Showa Denko K.K.
- Simmons Bedding
- Spansion Inc.
- SurveyMonkey.com LLC
- Sycamore Networks
- TJX Corporation
- Virgin Media